brand new PHATMOTO engine ceased after 2 miles.... replacement ideas/advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local time
1:21 AM
I recently purchased the matte black 2020 Phatmoto rover 79.5cc 4 stroke bike from Gasbike.net. only ran into a couple small issues at first. like the connecter that connects the kill switch to the engine was two different sizes. the female was way too big for the male connector, luckily i had i larger male connector to fit it already, so i just had to cut off the small one and replace it with the right size. and i ran into a couple more things not worth complaining about... i didn't do any mods or governor bypass tricks or anything... i put oil in it, filled it up with gas and took it for a short ride (less than a mile) and the next day did the same, , no issues, but today, i rode it to the store (less than a mile from my house) and just as i pulled into the parking lot, it stalled out... i tried to pull the starter and it was difficult to pull the first time and didnt start and when i tried again it was more difficult, i tried a third time and (nope) the starter is stuck, it wont pull... so i had to pedal home... and i tried all kinds of stuff and i couldn't get it unstuck... so i called gasbike and when i finally talked to someone they said i probably was too hard on it... which is bulls**t i think... they said i need to buy another engine... so i was looking and its $150 for a new phatmoto 79cc engine. for a predator 79cc from harbor freight its $99 but i'm not sure what else i would need to make it fit the phatmoto frame. gasbike sells a kit for it for 99 dollars... so all together it might cost me over 200... gasbike also has a 196cc Electric Start 6.5HP Gasoline Engine - OHV 4-Stroke for $189. does anyone know if that would fit the phatmoto rover frame? and is that engine any good... i like the fact it takes a key and also has an electric start. any advice on what i should do would be appreciated. thanks

1st I'd disconnect the kill button and eliminate that as an issue. Huge problem w/those cheap kill switches. Pull the plug and see if it's any easier to pull start and go from there. If you have a centrifugal clutch make sure it didn't grenade on you or a spring come off. That's where I'd start. W/the plug out there should be hardly any resistance in the pull. If there still is then the clutch or internal engine needs to be looked at.

damn, i was considering buying one of those phatmoto bikes :seenoevil:

Gasbike has been in the news before, and obviously will not stand behind their products. They always say user error, when in fact it's the trash they sell.

There is no difference between the a$$bike engine and the Harbor Freight engine.

The carbs are trash. The floats stick and dump gas everywhere. Could your cylinder be full of gas causing the engine to lock?

All of those motors you mentioned won’t work with the phatmoto. I had a phatmoto. The phatmoto engine is an upright motor. I do have the motor for sale if you want it. Where do you live?

All of those motors you mentioned won’t work with the phatmoto. I had a phatmoto. The phatmoto engine is an upright motor. I do have the motor for sale if you want it. Where do you live?
in apple valley california. i twore the whole motor apart, removed the plastic governor gear while i was at it, finally got it unstuck but i might have put it back together wrong or something because it pulls but still wont start. i think it might have something to do with the ohv. its a shame that 196cc Electric Start 6.5HP wont fit... is there a way to put an electric start in the existing motor?

i
1st I'd disconnect the kill button and eliminate that as an issue. Huge problem w/those cheap kill switches. Pull the plug and see if it's any easier to pull start and go from there. If you have a centrifugal clutch make sure it didn't grenade on you or a spring come off. That's where I'd start. W/the plug out there should be hardly any resistance in the pull. If there still is then the clutch or internal engine needs to be looked at.
it pulls now but cant get it to start... at least i know its not ceased, but i put something back together wrong.... i think.... i didnt take apart the clutch, i need snap ring pliers... gonna go pick some up right now

it pulls now but cant get it to start... at least i know its not ceased, but i put something back together wrong.... i think.... i didnt take apart the clutch, i need snap ring pliers... gonna go pick some up right now
Did you ever check the carb before you dismantled the engine? Just wondering.

When you removed the gov, did you make sure you didn't disturb the cam while you were in there? There is a mark on one of the cam gears that correspond to a mark on the crank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back