BRAND NEW YD100

the ring gaps on the piston need to face the intake side of the cylinder. there have been reports of those engines being built wrong. its always best to go thru these engines no matter what kind it is and to clean up the mess the chinese children left behind in it at the factory.

I'm pretty sure piston oreintation does not matter. It's the same on both sides. Only if windowed. Wich from factory, it's very likely not (except if you bought one with a reed valve, even then maybe they didn't include a windowed piston...)
If the piston is installed backwards the ends of a ring might stick into a port and get hung up.

Thx guys.
I was aware of the piston thing and the ring/port thing.

Should I clean up any flash first or just get her going?

Initial lubrication? cylinder? crankcase? other?
recommended lube? I'm partial to 100 percent synthetics personally.

recommended piston for this model?

anything else I should attend to before the initial start up?

I'm in no hurry. Have all winter. lol

Opinions on the connecting rod bearings? any recommendations on quality replacements?

of course you should remove any and all casting flash you can reach.

I recommend the piston that came with the motor.

use cheap non synthetic oil at 36-to-1 ratio to break in for 6-8 heat cycles,...and pull hard on that motor to get the rings seated fully before the cylinder wall smooths out. just don't scream the rpms yet and go from low to high rpms at wide open throttle. hard pulling=rings pushed against cyl. walls extra firmly=even, full ring seating/sealing=good. then go full synthetic at whatever ratio the oil manufacturer recommends (they are all usually different,...(for example: opti2 wants you to run at 100-to-1,...no matter what engine you put it in.:oops:)

don't scream the rpms until the third or fourth heat cycle because lower end bearings need to seat/smooth out/shed micro shavings,...and wrist pin bearings also need to smooth out and shed micro shavings. these microscopic shavings will harmlessly adhere to the sticky insides/bottom of your crankcase,..and stay there causing zero harm. but they will be present and still mobile in your crankcase until 3 or 4 heat cycles and your case builds up a thin layer of oily residue that the micro-shavings can stick to and stay stuck to.

but while theyre being produced,..which is the first 3 or 4 times you run the motor,.... take it easy on the screaming rpms because they ARE potentially damaging until they stick to something inside your motor that doesn't move (sticky crankcase walls/floor) im splitting hairs here,...but the more damage you can prevent the better

a comparable scenario is running a new lawnmower engine for the first time,... and then dumping the oil. when you look closely at the used oil,..you WILL see fine,...glittery,..metal MICRO SHAVINGS. they come from every bearing/friction surface in the motor in the beginning.

it's just a fact of life

Last edited:
Concerning top-end bearings, I special ordered a Stihl small end bearing to replace my 48cc engine's bearing which I suspected was of low quality.

Funny thing is the bearing I received wasn't any better or worse than the stock bearing, they looked identical. I know there's this common conception of these cheaper Ebay/Amazon engines under $150 being really cheap, mine was a $108 Zimtown 48cc, and it has had some issues, but BB's experience with the one-piece cylinder/heads seem to bear out that the some of these even cheap engines are better than expected. I'm seriously considering one of the one piece barrel engines if I upgrade.

of course you should remove any and all casting flash you can reach.

I recommend the piston that came with the motor.

use cheap non synthetic oil at 36-to-1 ratio to break in for 6-8 heat cycles,...and pull hard on that motor to get the rings seated fully before the cylinder wall smooths out. just don't scream the rpms yet and go from low to high rpms at wide open throttle. hard pulling=rings pushed against cyl. walls extra firmly=even, full ring seating/sealing=good. then go full synthetic at whatever ratio the oil manufacturer recommends (they are all usually different,...(for example: opti2 wants you to run at 100-to-1,...no matter what engine you put it in.:oops:)

don't scream the rpms until the third or fourth heat cycle because lower end bearings need to seat/smooth out/shed micro shavings,...and wrist pin bearings also need to smooth out and shed micro shavings. these microscopic shavings will harmlessly adhere to the sticky insides/bottom of your crankcase,..and stay there causing zero harm. but they will be present and still mobile in your crankcase until 3 or 4 heat cycles and your case builds up a thin layer of oily residue that the micro-shavings can stick to and stay stuck to.

but while theyre being produced,..which is the first 3 or 4 times you run the motor,.... take it easy on the screaming rpms because they ARE potentially damaging until they stick to something inside your motor that doesn't move (sticky crankcase walls/floor) im splitting hairs here,...but the more damage you can prevent the better

a comparable scenario is running a new lawnmower engine for the first time,... and then dumping the oil. when you look closely at the used oil,..you WILL see fine,...glittery,..metal MICRO SHAVINGS. they come from every bearing/friction surface in the motor in the beginning.

it's just a fact of life

Thx for the info. good stuff.

"piston" should have read "plug"
my bad.

jim

Concerning top-end bearings, I special ordered a Stihl small end bearing to replace my 48cc engine's bearing which I suspected was of low quality.

Funny thing is the bearing I received wasn't any better or worse than the stock bearing, they looked identical. I know there's this common conception of these cheaper Ebay/Amazon engines under $150 being really cheap, mine was a $108 Zimtown 48cc, and it has had some issues, but BB's experience with the one-piece cylinder/heads seem to bear out that the some of these even cheap engines are better than expected. I'm seriously considering one of the one piece barrel engines if I upgrade.
I got a one piece 66cc. It came with grade 8.8 Allen bolts. Just had to clean out gasket trimmings and grease everything. One of the jug bolts was drilled crooked with the 6mm bolts it came with. I put some locktight on the bolts and an extra washer on the one bolt and it has been okay. Some day I'll re drill the holes and use some standard size bolts.

Back