BRAND NEW YD100

so how do you know if you have the "upgraded hardware"?
should I replace it all anyway?
should I go SS?

also, I need an under bar tank.
anyone know for an aftermarket one? maybe in black
plastic?

Jim

Looking at your pics, you have Allen head cap screws. That's a good start. Any markings on them? Grade 8.8 or better is recommended. I'd take one out and see if you can see a number on it anywhere, see if it looks cheap and Chinese, see if it bends easy.

I don't know where you buy your stainless at but we use stainless at my work all the time mainly for its corrosion resistances (Fertilizer spray trucks). We even use 3/4" stainless u bolts to hold down 1000 gallon tanks. You can get different grades of stainless. Cutting or drilling or sanding stainless sucks lol.

Stainless is OK Don't put too much torque on it. The thicker the bolt the more ya can torque on it.
Example: A 1/4" Stainless bolt max torque is around 6 - 8 ft pounds depending on thread count.
A 3/4" Stainless bolt max torque is around 125 ft pounds. depending on thread count
For anything serious I always use USA grade 8 or Metric 12.9

Anytime a bolt breaks I replace it with a 10.9 or 12.9 grade bolt. I got tired of buying the cheapest bolts to just have them break again.

If we are talking about bolts. 8.8 grade bolts for motorcycle springs? The suspension. size 6 or like 0.8mm thick ones.

Dont get mixed up, Metric Grade 8.8 is not as strong as USA Grade 8
I know Vikingimike01 Knows this.

Last edited:
Oh. Now I do know. So do you guys think 8.8 grade steel bolts about 0.8mm thick ones are strong enough for suspensions?

a standard size bolt will have line marks on the head of the bolt. add 2 to the total number of lines to get the grade. 3 lines on the head make it a grade 5 bolt. 6 lines make it a grade 8.
metric bolts are always stamped with a number indicating their grade. the lower the number the weaker the bolt. 8.8 is probably the most common and plenty strong 12.9 is even stronger.
0.8mm is barely thicker than a pubic hair do you mean an 8mm bolt?

Last edited:
Back