BRAND NEW YD100

I'm mechanical, but I have a great 2 stoke guy to work with.
I've just ordered an Zeda yd 100 with a 44t rear.
This is going on an 26" alu hardtail mtb.

My goal here is to have a rig the will handle my hilly terrain easily without burning up.
Up hill and lower rpm performance is my top priority.

If I can realize good pull from an 10 degree uphill start and get to say, 25 kph within 500 or so yds, I'll be quite satisfied.
A top speed on the flat of 45 - 50 km/h will be plenty for my needs.

Kinda lookin at belt drive a bit as well.

Any advice or input, especially first hand knowledge of this particular engine, is most welcome.

Thanx in advance
Jim

Well from what I know those engines run lean from the factory, and overheat very quickly, so they are pretty bad.

Also not quite sure if the aluminium frame is the best choice.

I heard they (yd100's) come with the piston installed BACKWARDS,... so the first thing you need to do is GET THAT JUG OFF AND CHECK.

and while youre there,...turn the engine upside down and give it a thorough, solid 20 second shake. you would be amazed what gets past Chinese quality control (cigarette butts,...metal chunks,...etc...) people have found insane debris in lower ends over the years. don't get burned. 20 seconds.

i would skip the belt drive idea until your second or third build. by then you will better understand these things front-to-back,...and what is neccessary,..and what just isn't.

my yd-style motor (pictured) got me from Poughkeepsie ny. to richmond va. and back..... thru the crazy state of pennsylvania twice,...which is nothing but insane hills after insane hills. on an overloaded 29" surly cross-check bicycle.

yd's are the real deal.

i'm not defending zeda,...BUT,....lots of people have had horrible, horrible experiences with zeda's customer service,...so remember to factor that into your interpretation of the overall general opinion of your particular motor.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure piston oreintation does not matter. It's the same on both sides. Only if windowed. Wich from factory, it's very likely not (except if you bought one with a reed valve, even then maybe they didn't include a windowed piston...)

Back