Break down kits??? Snapped clutch cable!

Kpi890

Local time
7:43 AM
Rolling along nice and jolly today and went to pull the clutch at a stop sign and snapped the cable! I was about 5 miles from my shop and initially I just killed the engine because I got nervous, prolly wasn’t the best idea considering it was an absolute booger to try and get it started again. Anyways, I eventually got it started and rolled through every stop on the way home to keep it running. What do you all have in your break down kits? I started to think I need to add a small bag with essential tools and replacements Incase something like this happens, then I can fix it. I was just wondering what y’all would recommend to have on hand?

That must have been the cable from the kit because any decent brake cable wouldn't break so soon.
I might carry a spare brake cable on a very long tour but it should be unnecessary for normal use.

79084552-1E05-4388-B16F-A9DF4EF1A7B3.jpeg
That must have been the cable from the kit because any decent brake cable wouldn't break so soon.
I might carry a spare brake cable on a very long tour but it should be unnecessary for normal use.
Yea it’s the clutch cable that came with the kit. It broke right where the cable exits the hollow threaded housing where it first enters the spring. This isn’t my picture but used it as an example to show where it broke.

View attachment 81022
Yea it’s the clutch cable that came with the kit. It broke right where the cable exits the hollow threaded housing where it first enters the spring. This isn’t my picture but used it as an example to show where it broke.
Hmm. Must be a sharp edge there I guess.. still weird though.. if you try to cut a brake cable without the right tool it puts up a good fight!

Hmm. Must be a sharp edge there I guess.. still weird though.. if you try to cut a brake cable without the right tool it puts up a good fight!
That’s what I was thinking too! Cable like that is a pain to cut. However I will say that when my clutch is pulled I have to have quite a bit of pressure on the cable otherwise I can feel the clutch engaging slightly if I’m just pedaling with the engine off. Is there a specific way to set the perfect tension on the clutch cable? I just tighten it down until I know the clutch pads aren’t engaging which always seems to end up real tight.

That’s what I was thinking too! Cable like that is a pain to cut. However I will say that when my clutch is pulled I have to have quite a bit of pressure on the cable otherwise I can feel the clutch engaging slightly if I’m just pedaling with the engine off. Is there a specific way to set the perfect tension on the clutch cable? I just tighten it down until I know the clutch pads aren’t engaging which always seems to end up real tight.
I've only done it once. Just used the barrel adjusters at either end to take up the slack and that was it.
I didn't use the narrow spring, as I have found many posts advising that it is unnecessary and only adds resistance to the lever.
I would like to make a handlebar mounted choke control, and use the narrow spring to push down on the choke lever to return it to unchoked position.

I've only done it once. Just used the barrel adjusters at either end to take up the slack and that was it.
I didn't use the narrow spring, as I have found many posts advising that it is unnecessary and only adds resistance to the lever.
I would like to make a handlebar mounted choke control, and use the narrow spring to push down on the choke lever to return it to unchoked position.
Hmmm now you’ve got me thinking. You done use that spring at all? Do you have any issues with the clutch engaging and dis-engaging without the spring?

Back