Break In Break In alternative

J

jwibbity

if i let the engine idle threw 2 tanks of gas would that count as a break in????

Although I am interested in how long it would take to idle through that much gas, I would say NO. Varying speeds (and temps) seem to be important. I think someone here will know the technical reasons.

I would beleive you need to have a load on the engine when you break it in. Having the motor in idle with no load the engine would not run the same as under a load ( at a higher rev ), like you would normaly be riding it.

wut he sed...DO NOT let it sit & idle during break-in, it has to be varied loads and speeds to seat everything properly.

Idling the engine is the WORST possible way to break in an engine. It doesn't not provide enough combustion pressure in cylinder to force the rings against the cylinder wall to mate them.

In fact, too much idling on a new engine can cause the rings to glaze and that is not good.

I Agree,

with drew you really need to get some load onto the motor

Chieflets

what about having the bike on a stand and having the throttle locked at like 1/3. and have a fan for the temp.

jwibbity said:
what about having the bike on a stand and having the throttle locked at like 1/3. and have a fan for the temp.

You still have no load on the motor, you are free wheeling. Sorry no easy way out. :)

p.s. plus you will want to varied the engine rpm.

Back