Break-in period

HoboFresh

Local time
9:42 AM
Hello folks! So, I'm relatively new to all this. I'm putting my first build together right now, and I have a question. I bought a few aftermarket parts to change out on the motor kit. One of these parts is a tapped intake manifold, and a boost bottle induction kit. My question is - should I run the engine through its' break-in cycle PRIOR to installing the boost bottle kit?

Welcome Hobo, I would break in the motor first and set the rings. Have a smooth running engine then upgrade from there.

Welcome Hobo, I would break in the motor first and set the rings. Have a smooth running engine then upgrade from there.

Thanks! I'm not going too overboard lol. I've got the boost bottle kit, an upgraded carb, and a longer, tipped exhaust to cut down on the dB. My plan is to use it for touring, while towing a micro pop-up camper I built behind me. Thus the boost kit, for the extra mid range torque.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1594551718406.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594551718406.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 144
Thanks! I'm not going too overboard lol. I've got the boost bottle kit, an upgraded carb, and a longer, tipped exhaust to cut down on the dB. My plan is to use it for touring, while towing a micro pop-up camper I built behind me. Thus the boost kit, for the extra mid range torque.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those boost bottles don't really do anything for performance. Just snake oil, that's all they are, You would do better with a proper expansion chamber exhaust.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those boost bottles don't really do anything for performance. Just snake oil, that's all they are, You would do better with a proper expansion chamber exhaust.
I've been reading into the expansion chamber exhausts. How are the dB on them? And if it's loud, can you fit a tip on the end? Or will I have to do some fabrication?

This is the exhaust I got to replace the standard one that comes with the kit. It's got a small expansion chamber on it, and it's tipped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200801-214359.png
    Screenshot_20200801-214359.png
    314.1 KB · Views: 163
Most factory built expansion chamber can be fitted with a muffler at the tip, but the pipe itself has to be modified to fit the 80c motor.

Back