Break In Break-in Proceedures

M

MotorbikeMike

Hello, I would like to hear from you-all, the "correct" break-in proceedure, and the reasoning for it, and after that I will explian mine and why.
Mike

for 2 stroke or 4 stroke? you use Whizzer engines don't you? we have the chinese 2 stroke.

Break-in Proceedures/Reprise

Hi Augidog, I've been a mechanic for many years, working on everything from Model T fords, to Hay Balers, and Haro-beds as a Ford and New Holland dealership mechanic when I was young. I drove my 55 chevy BelAir up to and walked into a Datsun Dealership at 18yo and landed a job as a Dealership Line Mechanic. Just a brief to let you know that I am very familiar with things mechanical.

After these engines are "prepped" there is NO need for all this over-oiling, babying, and carrying on about the preciuos "break-in time".

Prep:
1)open the clutch cover and lightly grease, with non-migratory grease, the two crude helical cut gears.
2) Open the clutch arm cover, remove clutch arm, pin and 8mm BB and grease them also.
3) O-ring the carb, and chech the bottom of manifold to see that the gasket is intact (they are a continuing problem)
4) Mix fuel 32 to 1 Organic 4 oz 2-stroke oil to one US gallon of regular cheap gas
5) check everything
6)start engine and ride briefly ie around the block one time
7) check everything, all nuts bolts chain tensions etc
8) ride it like you just stole it!!! There is NOTHING inside here to break-in, no cams, lifters, babbit bearings, pushrods, rockers valves valveseats NOTHING!
Now..... Never lug a new engine, never get it too hot, and do not run wide open at no load. all these things are important.

To JosephGarcia I have many engines, 2-stroke chinese all the way back to 2 of the Spitfires, Whizzers, and I'm assembling, at this time a lil 4-stroke chinese with a gearbox on it's side.

I hope my lil outline will help people enjoy thier engines. The over-oiling causes hard starting, lack of power, pollution, and aggravates neighbors at least a little

Gentlemen, start your engines

Mike

Two things would concern me just before the initial start-up of one of these Chinese 2 strokes. The first, how clean is it internally? Like how much grit is in the crankcase? Second, does this model have a bronze wrist pin? We know that once an aluminum piston is warm, the pin turns very freely in it but when cold it will not turn. During cold start-up the pin MUST turn in the bronze bushing w/o gauling causing premature wear and eventual failure. I think proper pre-ride warm up is important when these engines are new.
The over oiling might be of very little benefit to a tight piston pin but I doubt it.

4 strokes with flat tappet cams or the curved follower kind, should be run at a very fast idle upon initial start-up. This get plenty of lubing/cooling oil to these high friction points inside the 4 stroke.

MotorbikeMike, please start a thread with internal pics of this Chinses 4 stroke. TIA.

Back