Break In Break in Secrets

The break in link has been posted before. Certainly well worth another look! Interesting how many times the author emphasizes the need to fully warm the engine up before hard running. Also, IMO one of the worst things one can do to an engine or motor for that fact is to "lug" it. On changing ones oil too much. Better too much than not enough! The exhaust gas recirculation circuits in modern engines put some nasty carp back into the oil. Get the carcinogenic acid forming gunk outta the crankcase as often as YOU want I say.

VTEC, hundreds of used oil analysis on bobistheoilguy.com website show that too frequent oil changes actually increases engine wear as evidenced by engine wear metals in the oil samples sent to analysis.

BLACK OIL doesn't mean it is bad in any way. The only way to know if your oil is shot is to send in a sample to a lab and they can tell you. Pulling oil out too soon, e.g. 3k oil change intervals actually is worse for your engine with an extended oil change interval oil such as Mobil 1.

BTW, my oil in my vehicles (diesels) turns pure black in about 20 miles of use after an oil change. Using Mobil 1 ESP in my wife's car, she gets 12,500 mile oil change intervals and Usinb Mobil 1 TDT in my vehicle, I go 10k on oil change intervals. Both intervals verified using blackstone labs or my oil analysis. Get a UOA (used oil analysis) VTEC and you'll see that your engine is full of silicone because I'd bet anyone you use a cold air intake with a K&N type airfilter....they are known to suck in dirt....the cost of a free flowing intake is reduced filtering.

I keep forgetting that you are refering to a diesel. It was my understanding that the main problem with the oil in a diesel engine is fuel contamination from getting past the rings. The Aussies invented an item called a Purifiner. It's a small refinery right on your motor. It uses engine heat to cook off the diesel fuel from the motor oil. They use it on them big frieghters they run. Really adds to the life of the oil

Fuel contaminating past the engine rings (called fuel dilution) is not specific to diesels. Its an issue with gasoline engines too! Idling too much, lots of short trip driving that doesn't allow the engine to warm up completely can promote fuel dilution issues in gassers too. Some engines such as the older rotary engines are notorious for fuel dilution because of their overrich mixtures to prevent detonation. Most diesels can easily run on oil diluted by 50% by fuel (most never it 3%)....diesel is a light oil. The problem with diesel fuel dilution occurs when biodiesel or oil is burned as a fuel in the engine. This can cause polymerization of the oil which then leads to engine damgage and destruction. Gasoline is less forgiving when it is diluted in oil and gas engines cannot tolerate it as well. It, however, is easily evaporated via the crank case ventilation system if the vehicle is warmed up well and driven in this state for a while.

Fuel dilution isn't much of an issue because most engines experience it at a level of less than 3% per volume when analyzing used oil analysis.

Extended oil change intervals are not just for diesels.

Here is a stuy done a while ago that I followed closely. They performed the study on Mobil 1. They conclused using oil analysis that the oil could last 10,000 miles in thier vehicle and their driving style. They extended the oil change interval to 18k miles by changing the oil filter when insolubles became high and topping off oil that was consumed/lost from driving/filter replacements. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

I'm not familar iwth the purifiner. I did some research on it and it looked like it was for removing water and other elements from the oil system. The most common bypass filters for diesels are the centrifigual type that filter out the suspended carbon/soot in the oil.

Anything you ever wanted to know about engine oil can be learned from www.bobistheoilguy.com

Here is one of the references that implied that engine wear decreases as the oil ages, e.g. measure of wear metals in the oils in parts per million actually decrease in growth if they are measured by oil analysis every 1000 miles.

Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it.

This is a touchy/controversial topic. If 3k oil change intervals are "best" using synthetic oil such as Mobil 1, they why stop there...why not 500 mile oil changes?????????? Just as there is an economic benefit from extending oil change intervals, there is also a possible beneift in engine wear rates. Some think that the additives in new oil need time to stabilize and become activated from heat/pressure for them to do their thing.

Last edited:
Back