Break In Break In

Im running a 16:1 mix and theres almost no smoke, the engine does feel a little rough at lower speeds but I attribute that to it being a new engine, im not really used to 2 strokes, sounds like most others though.

~Fox

Engine idle is worst thing you can do to break in an engine. Idle for 1-2 minutes to warm engine up before increasing load is fine but for 1/2 tank...bad.

I'm too new to post a link on engine break in but do a google search for

"breaking in a rotax 2 stroke engine" and you'll find some good info.

Here is an engine break in for a Rotax 2 stroke aircraft engine. RPM is on top and time is listed below it. Note one consistent theme is that engine rpm (and load) is varied and so is time at each load. What this means for our engines is that varying engine load/rpm is equally important and that idling or limiting engine rpm/load to some set value is not appropriate.

10 sec

15 sec

20 sec

30 sec

2100 2

This topic has many different responses from many people, companies etc. I've researched sooo much that I've become a bit confused. I was hoping someone couldclear this up for me.

1. I know proper oil mixture, at least what I know from my last bike. What is and what should not be. Budum tisss.

2. Idle: This topic has me perplexed. I've read from different sources that the first run should be started and rode immediately not allowing the engine to idle whatsoever (I did this). I've also read to let it idle for a couple minutes shut off and ride a bit later under load.

My first ride was started and rode immediately for maybe 5-8 mins without idle and varying speeds. I want to get the longest life out of my engine. Which is the best method? I hope I've not damaged it thusfar.

I'm about to get my first Zeda80 2 stroke kit this week & was going to mix some gas soon so that I'm prepared for a good break-in period. There does seem to be many different & conflicting responses about the break-in period of 2 strokes ranging from 7 ounces for the first 2 gallons to 8 ounces for the first 2 tanks (1 gallon?) leaving me perplexed to. I just wanna know beforehand so I don't ruin a brand new engine. Is it 7 or 8 ounces of oil for the first gallon or first 2 gallons? & is it half that amount of oil per gallon after the break-in? This way I can be sure to get a gallon or two gallons for the break-in period. I'm also confused because many vendors seem to provide different information about how to break-in a 2 stroke.

Last edited:
a lot depends on the motor when I do it - for the recent motors that have fairly aggressive honing on the cylinder wall, I will mix 2oz for one quart of gas, then when that is about gone, I'll put in a 32:1 mix and run that forevermore

other folks like other things, and if motor has shiny cylinder wall, I'll run more 16:1

a hard break in is the only way. full throttle up a hill is my preferred method for a quick and painless break in. as far as oil ratios go, there's a sweet spot for every engine and every rider, I've found 40:1 to be totally sufficient for hard use. there's no reason to change the amount of oil for break in, if it's not enough for break in its not enough period.

Back