Breaking in a new motor- how do you keep the speed low?

re: 27" tires. I like the idea of using an old road bike with 27" (US, not 700c) wheels and good old fat gumwalls (Still about $10 for the old fashioned ones, and around $25 for modern high quality low weight tires, try REI.com)

Since the chain drive goes by wheel size for overall gearing, a bigger wheel will have a higher top speed. Just be sure to use good quality spokes! (these wheels are easy to rebuild with very flexy rims)

The main concern I think would be braking power. Many of those 27" wheels have slick steel rims. If you have v-brakes rigged to the bike or a good solid coaster brake, you should be much safer.

Best of luck and new life to old parts!

How do you know when its "broken in"? I don't like puttering. I want to run this sucker like a chainsaw and get somewhere!

On a 26" bike you will get ABOUT 100 MPG depending on load. If one wants to break the engine in as recommended...after 4 gallons of fuel burnt, ride it like you stole it. (just kidding), but 4 gallons would equal about 400 miles. I went through 4 gallons in no time. Your looking at about 20-30 hours of riding time. Remember recomended running time is 30 minutes and cool down. Now what is cool enough. I told my son if you can hold your hand on the engine then it's cooled down.

Ok. I plan on riding it this weekend for several hours and doing a test run to work and back. That with the riding I did after the build should pretty much do it. I have no idea what the mileage is yet, plus I added one of those Magnetic Fuel atomizer gimmicks just for fun since I had it in a garage sale box. Plus I have the free-flowing lawnmower muffler. If I ride it to work at 20-25mph for a few days, that should do it. Its cold here so it should be fine.

Back