Breaking in an HS142F (49cc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure about throttling during break-in but the motor will break in and deposits will build in the oil (this is normal and supposed to happen). After 10 hours of run time itll be set and you will then need to change the oil out.

Don’t listen to that guy. Get yourself a quality break in oil and WITH ZINC AND PHOSPORUS. Then your going to run the motor for 1 hours time. No more then 3 quarter throttle. Trying to run it through it’s paces nicely. But not going to high in rpm. DO NOT HIT THE REV LIMITER WHILE BREAKING IN. Do this for 3 hours to be safe(changing oil every hour). After which you will have a perfectly broken in motor. I can get into detail if you’d really like. But yes. I’ve done the same for my 142F with royal purple and it went terrific as usual . Love by the stuff lol

This may get some people riled up but I don't even bother with "break in" on a 4stroke. Just an early oil change and thats it.

Everyone has their own preference but IMO you don't have to break in a 142f gently. They are not weak heat sensitive aluminum cylinders like the 2strokes, they are cast iron. The manufacturer actually sells them in commercial water pumps and other similar models in generators that will be ran for hours on end for days and days at the same high RPM level right out of the box brand new. You don't hear of catastrophic 49cc failures like anywhere near as much as you do for the 2strokes. Even the bigger motors are the same way...most Predator 79cc and 212s aren't going in bikes. They are put in pressure washers and lawn mowers that are WOT right out of the box for hours at a time.

Just change the oil after no more than 10hrs for the first change and you will be fine. I broke in my first 4stroke gently to be safe with it and the second one I just rode it like normal and went WOT whenever I want and if anything the second one ran better after the first oil change. It's still going strong with hundreds of miles as a commuter for its new owner.

To each his own though.

How long does one of those engines last? I want to build a bike similar to the ghost classic and use it as a commuter.

They last Will along time. You should get 1000s of miles out of one if not abused.

They last Will along time. You should get 1000s of miles out of one if not abused.
Ya I’ve heard some stories if someone is going flat out down a hill the motor blows I’ve heard they rev to 8,000 unlike the original Honda which I think is governed at 4,000. Much cheaper too you can buy 2 huashengs for cheaper than 1 Honda pretty sure. How often should the oil be changed once every 300 miles?

They only take a half pint of oil, so an oil change isn't a financial burden. Every 100 miles to be on the safe side. Over the winter I'll be fitting a Fumoto drain valve to make it less messy.

Ya I’ve heard some stories if someone is going flat out down a hill the motor blows
I’ve heard they rev to 8,000 unlike the original Honda which I think is governed at 4,000.
The Honda GXH 50 cc has a 7800 redline and is not governed to 4000 rpm.
The Honda 25, 35 and 50cc all rev that high.
8000 to 8500 is safe to do.
If the Honda and HS are undergeared they will do 10,000 rpm.
The rod fuses to the crank at sustained 9 to 10,000 rpm's then breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back