Breaking Spoke Blues

Here's the Deal

Here's the deal fellas....I suspected the Wheelmaster, and Wheelmaster brand by J&B imports aren't the same outfit. And make no mistake...my money is funny right now...I'm too poor to pay attention..lol. I just got finished investing $100 in that Rhyno Lite rear wheel, and a new hub with 14 guage spokes, at my local bike shop, hoping that it would solve my problem. It's really a phenominal rim, and hub, and I would hate to say goodbye to it. On the other hand, I don't want to spend over $220 after shipping and handling for a new set of spokes either. Gonna have to think about this one for a spell.

Life time guarantee

Oh yeah...one other thing with the $190 spoke job...He guarantees the spokes for life. If a spoke breaks, sent it in to him, and he'll replace it, and get the wheel rdy to go at no cost. (althought I doubt that breakage will be a problem with 10 guage spokes..lol) I was looking at Wheelmaster wheels...I could only find them with 12 guage spokes....but that was on e-bay.

I logged in, took 20 minutes to develope a long post, tried to post and the forum told me to log in. *sigh*

Just buy the 12g rear wheel from GEBE. It is a good deal.

I laced my first bicycle wheel 5 years ago, it is not that hard. Google for tutorials and build your own wheels. :cool:

Build my own

I hear ya 'ol Pete....Say...Do you know where to order 10, or even 12 guage spokes? I can't find them. To be honest with ya Pete, I'm tired of having problems with this 'ol back wheel. I'm gonna have to save my nickels and dimes, but I don't mind puttin' the money into something that's really going to be good....plus I really don't want to file 13 my new Rhyno Lite rim, and hub that I just bought. I want the 10 guage spokes on my rim and hub, and I'll be happier than an ol dog eatin' ____ you know what..hehehe. I'm definitely gonna "flat proof" that thing too while I'm at it, because I was barely able to get that rear tire on that rim....really snug fit, and that's what I want. Pete, I'm 6' 7 1/2 inches tall, and weigh in at over 310 lbs..lol...It's gotta be mighty sturdy for me. I'm a big 'n.

Wheres the pix?

Remind me agin what model bike you're a hauling that Indiana self around on?

Got a link?

And forget GEBE till after the wedding, we're on our own, I haven't heard word since that storm hit Lansing.

You were/are a prime candidate for a Worksman Bike, with those 10's on the front an back.

http://www.worksman.com/industrialbikes.html

Tax deductible if you can figure out a way to include it in your livelihood.

:cool:Roy, i'm unsure if you asked the bikeshop mechanic if they had 12g or not. if ya did ask, and they didn't have any, it's pretty easy to find 12g spokes on the internet, buy 'em and take the 12g spokes and new wheel back to the shop you purchased the wheel. in my opinion, that's be the simplest/cheapest/quickest solution.

:cool:Roy, buy 12g spokes online and have a reputable shop install them.

if you break 12g spokes, i'm going out on a limb and suggest that you replace your GEBE system with STATON gear/chain setup. the sprocket is secured to the hub itself. i'd imagine the STATON installation places less stress at the rim and spoke nipples...ESPECIALLY if the spokes are soldered or ziptied together.

i know i'm gonna catch flak from you GEBE-lovers. that's why i'm saying

IFFFFFFFF Roy break the 12g spokes.

Spokes

I thought of really trying to lay my hands on some 12 guage spokes...never could find any, oddly enough, although I'm sure they are out there somewhere. I decided that I want 10 guage. I'm gonna make dam sure no more spokes break!! If ya knew where to get some 10 guage spokes, I'd do it. 12 guage is really not a lot thicker than 14 guage. You're right though...If the 10 guage spokes break, I'll get the Staton...lol. Bama, I'm riding a Schwinn (select) Alloy Seven cruiser. I've had it for about 2 years now. Nice bike:D I've seen the Workman Industrials. I know they're strong, but heavy as well....The Schwinn is strong, and light..he he. I'll hang on to it. Just need for those spokes to quit breakin'.

10 g it is....:cool:

My bikeshop serves the local industries with Worksmans trikes and bikes, and you could call Worksman, find out a:) can you buy a rear wheel from them direct OR b:) who their approved dealer is closest to you.

Not EVERY bikeshop has the Worksman brand, usually one serves a multi-county area because breakdowns and sales are rare.

I'm a gonna call him this morn, get the lowdown on if a rear is available, get a price.

Stand by until 9 am and I'll have some news.

Searching for an item sometimes is a hassle, my guy can't find the Armadillo/Kevlar tire MBfolks have recommended, but the Greygeezer bike brought home yesterday has a pretty good street tire, better thread pattern than the ones on the Retro 7's.

Last edited:
Well, 8:30 am, and the "spoke experts" let me chase that 10g fallacy down a rabbit hole.

Worksman only offers coaster brakes, according to Paul.

Big Ruh, you're o.y.o.

I'm outta here.

Back