Breaking Spoke Blues

300 miles with 10 guage spokes

I am pleased to follow up this thread with an update on my 10 guage Wheelmaster built wheel. At 300 miles, (use on the new wheel), the wheel is still in perfect trueness, and all spokes are intact. I have literally beat the heck out of those spokes, and so far, so good! Again....no epoxy glue, ties, solder, or anything else. The drivering still grips the spokes very tightly, and is still in round with the wheel. Now I'm starting to really love this little handy dandy thing...lol.

I am pleased to follow up this thread with an update on my 10 guage Wheelmaster built wheel. At 300 miles, (use on the new wheel), the wheel is still in perfect trueness...QUOTE]

May I ask how much $$$ that wheel set you back? Did you provide them a hub or did you send them your old one? I'm very interested in this wheel builder because it seems difficult to find the supplies and the correct hub to even take a spoke that large in diameter.

Thanks! -John

I am pleased to follow up this thread with an update on my 10 guage Wheelmaster built wheel. At 300 miles, (use on the new wheel), the wheel is still in perfect trueness...QUOTE]

May I ask how much $$$ that wheel set you back? Did you provide them a hub or did you send them your old one? I'm very interested in this wheel builder because it seems difficult to find the supplies and the correct hub to even take a spoke that large in diameter.

Thanks! -John

I provided the rim, and hub, and paid postage to Auburn, WA....that's from Indy, IN. Was it around $30.00 for USPS..I recall that figure being about right. The labor, and spokes were $190.00 U.S. What I got back, (he paid return postage), was a well built, "fort knox" of a wheel. I used a Sun, Rino Lite rim, and shimano hub. I'm in love with the wheel, because he guarantees his spokes, and will replace a broken spoke free of charge, not including postage of course, and the fact that there have'nt been any broken spokes since. I weigh in at about 345, (yep, I'm a big 'un...lol), and haven't even needed to tighten any spokes since. The hub, and rim were drilled out slightly to accomadate the larger spokes, but no problems at all with better than 300 miles on 'er. I was poppin' 14 guage wheelsmith stainless straights almost weekly. That's why I shyed away from the 12 guage setup....break a spoke, and you're out a wheel. Again...lol....I think I'll never regret the custom built wheel. He's a laid back guy to talk to as well...here;
jamesburkman1@comcast.net
Give him a shout.

Just to keep all of you fellas with the spoke issues....1100+ miles...no spoke breakage with the 10 guagers! I love those spokes..lol.

Anyone else build spokes

Thanks for the spoke info.
If he can do it, surely there is someone closer that can also do this.
Have you heard of any other pro-spoke builders?

Or to anyone, how hard is it to take the spokes out of a GEBE rim and replace with 10 gauge?

Tim

http://goldeneaglebikeengine.blogspot.com
Blog Kit Build and Experience from June 2007
Golden Eagle Bike Engine ~ Subaru Robin 35cc 4 Stroke
Current miles : 2,664

Back