Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke 33CC

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 4613

What's this about a BS 4 stroke 33 cc, listed for gopeds? Does anyone know about this engine. Listed at 23 pounds.

Have to be horizontal and can't be heavy. I cant find it on ebay anyway.

wouldnt touch it with a ten...nay, twenty! foot pole...

starter on clutch side means lousy half crank.

why im so against them, i dont know :p

half cranks dont suffer alignment issues.

but then half cranks are always used on cheap rubbish. saves costs.

i dont know... looks like cheap rubbish to me. take off all the plastic, maybe...

It says it can be mounted at any angle. That makes mounting simpler.

One reason I have not done a DIY (non-kit) build is because the 2 stroke weed eater and goped engines are so loud. I may be willing to do a bike with a 4 cycle weed eater. I avoid the Briggs and most HFs because I want to maintain a street legal displacement for motorized bikes.

I think someone needs to buy one of these engines and develop it for motorized bikes.
It's a great value if it can be used and it's 4 stroke. There aren't many 4 stroke alternatives to RS and Honda, so it's worthwhile to take a look at this engine.

Been looking at the B & S motors and plan to see how difficult to make a drive system for them.

Have fun,

I doubt that the B&S 34cc engines would be good candidates for motorized bicycles. They are a side valve (i.e. "flathead") engine, which typically produce somewhere in the range of 60% to 70% of the power of a similar size overhead valve engine. Given that a 34cc overhead valve engine doesn't have excess power for an MB to begin with, I think that a flat head 34cc engine would be quite a disappointment power-wise. B&S also makes (or made) a 40cc version of this engine, but that's still only a little bit bigger than a 34cc engine.

Additionally, I think these engines have an overhung crankshaft. That is a good point for a model airplane conversion, but the extra width isn't so good for an MB engine.

For this class of engine size, I think the Honda and Subaru are still the engines of choice.

Last edited:
Back