Broke a keyway

chuck216

For a while now I've had a problem with the chain coming off. Well this time it did it and caused the chain to wrap around itself on the front (engine) sprocket. The result.. a sheared keyway on one of the gears inside the gearbox. I have the huangsheng 4 stroke with one of the "figure 8" type gear boxes. does anyone know where I can get a replacement keyway?

Also any suggestions of what may be causing my chain to come off in the first place, I've tried it tight, loose and all points in between.

H

HoughMade

Key, or keyway?

A key can be found at any well stocked hardware store- Ace is a favorite of mine.

P

Proboscis

Up north here you can find woodruff keys at Canadian Tire.

Marktur

I would check the alignment of the gears. If you hear any type of clicks or funny sounds from the chain while rolling with the clutch disengaged, 99% of the time it's from an alignment problem. A wobbly gear at higher speeds will eventually throw the chain.

Hope that helps :)

chuck216

I would check the alignment of the gears. If you hear any type of clicks or funny sounds from the chain while rolling with the clutch disengaged, 99% of the time it's from an alignment problem. A wobbly gear at higher speeds will eventually throw the chain.

Hope that helps :)
Yep, the alignment was slightly off, well not the chain itself but the idler wheel. I added a spacer and that fixed everything.