Broke a keyway

chuck216

Local time
6:37 AM
For a while now I've had a problem with the chain coming off. Well this time it did it and caused the chain to wrap around itself on the front (engine) sprocket. The result.. a sheared keyway on one of the gears inside the gearbox. I have the huangsheng 4 stroke with one of the "figure 8" type gear boxes. does anyone know where I can get a replacement keyway?

Also any suggestions of what may be causing my chain to come off in the first place, I've tried it tight, loose and all points in between.

Key, or keyway?

A key can be found at any well stocked hardware store- Ace is a favorite of mine.

I would check the alignment of the gears. If you hear any type of clicks or funny sounds from the chain while rolling with the clutch disengaged, 99% of the time it's from an alignment problem. A wobbly gear at higher speeds will eventually throw the chain.

Hope that helps :)

I would check the alignment of the gears. If you hear any type of clicks or funny sounds from the chain while rolling with the clutch disengaged, 99% of the time it's from an alignment problem. A wobbly gear at higher speeds will eventually throw the chain.

Hope that helps :)

Yep, the alignment was slightly off, well not the chain itself but the idler wheel. I added a spacer and that fixed everything.

Back