Broken Exhaust bolt

Joast

Local time
8:51 AM
Hi, I am a new poster from Illinois. I just bought a Schwinn Riverside cruiser with a 2 stroke engine off a facebook ad. The seller knew little about the whole setup, but claimed it was built by a shop when he bought it.
Anyway, when I got it home one of the 2 exhaust bolts is broken off flush in the mounting hole in the Cylinder. It has a 6mm Allen bolt in the other side. Is there any way to fix this or should I just look for a new motor or cylinder? It started to run when the clutch is dumped but not well, and then it dies. All the seller could tell me about the motor that he thought it "might be" an 80cc engine. Can anyone give some input on the best option to fix or replace. At least I would like to get some idea what engine this is so I could look for a replacement. Pictures are attached.
Thank you for any help. John

Attachments

• Exhaust Bolt.jpg
    Exhaust Bolt.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 2 stroke motor.jpg
    2 stroke motor.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 109
  • engine top.jpg
    engine top.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Riverside.jpg
    Riverside.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 103
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I’d try to remove the broken stud.

If it's not bottomed out in the threads and in a bind it may back out fairly easy.

The first thing I’d try is to carefully use a dremel with a cutoff wheel. Cut a slot in the broken off stud deep enough to get a flat blade screw driver tip in it and try to back it out. A little heat and penetrant may help.
If a hand driver didn’t do it I’d try an impact driver to back it out.

If the drivers fail I would drill it and try an easy out… and next… a helicoil.

And if all of the above fails you can match the cylinder to the right brand engine and get one on Amazon or eBay for $25-$30.

There may be an easier or different way but this is probably the route I’d go.

First thing I would try is some heat from a propane or map torch and then a left hand drill bit. If you are lucky the left hand bit will catch and drive the bolt out. If not, it is now drilled for an extractor.

Thanks for all the quick help and advice on this. I have ordered a Dremel and found the stud removal bit as well. It is totally flush with the cylinder. so I am not sure I can just cut a slot for a screwdriver. I am hoping it is not impacted since the other bolt came right out. I have no problem ordering a new cylinder, but I don't know the type of engine I am dealing with except it being a Chinese 2 stroke of some sort. Otherwise, the bike
and installation looks to be solid the best I can tell. But it is heavy. I am used to road bikes

Thanks again. John

Take note of the left-hand twist drill bit I mentioned - aka "reverse". They are handy for things like this in particular. Worth buying a small set of them.

Take note of the left-hand twist drill bit I mentioned - aka "reverse". They are handy for things like this in particular. Worth buying a small set of them.
Yes I caught that in the post. I had bought a small regular starter bit, but didn't think of a reversed drill bit. Will try to swap it off at Ace tomorrow.
I am concerned about breaking off the bit in the bolt, but will try to go slow and lube it as I go. Thank You. John

Yes I caught that in the post. I had bought a small regular starter bit, but didn't think of a reversed drill bit. Will try to swap it off at Ace tomorrow.
I am concerned about breaking off the bit in the bolt, but will try to go slow and lube it as I go. Thank You. John
Hehehe...Looks to me like you got more help here in two hours than you got in two days on the other forum...lol...lol.

Welcome to the "Dark Side" John...lol.

Back