Broken frame

GreasyChris

Local time
1:16 AM
my bike season came to an early end yesterday. The frame on my zeda gastank frame bike broke at the rear dropout while I was doing 50 mph. Let me tell ya that will make your as***le tighten right up when it happens. Luckily I was able to keep the bike up right and got it slowed down. I would never buy another zeda frame that's for sure.
20200816_095803.jpg
20200816_095752.jpg
20200816_095744.jpg

Glad your ok, it very scary ...Tuff frames include Felt,Worksman,Ruff cycles,vintage Schwinn balloon frames and our custom frame builders Sportsman and Taylar.

my bike season came to an early end yesterday. The frame on my zeda gastank frame bike broke at the rear dropout while I was doing 50 mph. Let me tell ya that will make your ass**le tighten right up when it happens. Luckily I was able to keep the bike up right and got it slowed down. I would never buy another zeda frame that's for sure. View attachment 98741View attachment 98742View attachment 98743

Is your frame aluminum or steel?

My LandRider steel frame had a similar break once; the chain stay broke lose from the right side dropout. I cut and shaped a piece of 3/16" flat steel bar to the shape where the seat stay and chain stay connect to the dropout. I then arc welded the piece in, both to the inside and outside. It's held up for more than 9 years.

This is another reason so many of us love our steel frames. You can buy fairly cheap welders if you need to weld on them vs aluminum having to buy an expensive tig welder.

20200816_120052.jpg
20200816_120223.jpg

Last edited:
This frame is aluminum. It could be tig welded and reinforced but these gastank frames are cheaper just to replace. I was warned about these zeda frames breaking before I got it, lol and they were right. The joys of the hobby. On the bright side I get to build another new bike lol
20200623_191111.jpg

my bike season came to an early end yesterday. The frame on my zeda gastank frame bike broke at the rear dropout while I was doing 50 mph. Let me tell ya that will make your ass**le tighten right up when it happens. Luckily I was able to keep the bike up right and got it slowed down. I would never buy another zeda frame that's for sure. View attachment 98741View attachment 98742View attachment 98743
that is aluminum right there... thats why i say, go with steel bike frames always!!! Aluminum is somewhat brittle, and fails without deflection...
Not to mention, the modulus of elasticity of steel is 3x higher than Al.

Back