Broken frame

I have a Schwinn 5Star that I could sell you. I haven't been trying to sell it because it's an 80s bike in prime shape. Hopefully you'll find another real close.

"Ferrous alloys and titanium alloys[2] have a distinct limit. Other structural metals, such as aluminium and copper, do not have a distinct limit and will eventually fail even from small stress amplitudes. In these cases, the term endurance strength is used. Endurance strength is defined as the maximum value of completely reversed bending stress that a material can withstand for a finite number of cycles without a fatigue failure. "

-from wikipedia

I have a Schwinn 5Star that I could sell you. I haven't been trying to sell it because it's an 80s bike in prime shape. Hopefully you'll find another real close.
Thanks but I'm not in a huge rush. I'm still building my red bike with the minarelli engine. So I'm thinking I'll just rebuild it over the winter.

Thats really weird. And it doesn't look like the frame is weak or thin at that area... I guess saving money on quality materials?? Hmmmm....

Thats really weird. And it doesn't look like the frame is weak or thin at that area... I guess saving money on quality materials?? Hmmmm....
look at what I said from wikipedia above....

Aluminum has no fatigue limit / endurance limit

if you put a 1 gram load on it and cycled it 1,0000000000000000 times it would fail... I am probably exaggerating a little bit here but you get the point.

Steel has a fatigue limit where if you put a certain specific load that you calculated in the formula, it would not fail.....
See that endurance limit, if you put a 30,000psi load on it for infinity cycles it would never fail, as it has a limit.... See how the blue line, it flat lines and never gets lower. You can do that till the universe dies and it wont break. lim x ---> infinity = 30kg in this chart

Aluminum steadily declines after each cycle... Each cycle it handles less and less until it approaches 0. Mind you that would occur on 10^9 cycles, but still. With aluminum, if you put a gram on it and cycled it for 1 billion years, it would probably break, as it eventually approaches 0, that red line... Hyperbole here but you get the point. lim x---> infinty = 0

Last edited:
look at what I said from wikipedia above....
View attachment 98750
Aluminum has no fatigue limit / endurance limit

if you put a 1 gram load on it and cycled it 1,0000000000000000 times it would fail... I am probably exaggerating a little bit here but you get the point.

Steel has a fatigue limit where if you put a certain specific load that you calculated in the formula, it would not fail.....
See that endurance limit, if you put a 30kg load on it for infinity cycles it would never fail, as it has a limit.... See how the blue line, it flat lines and never gets lower. You can do that till the universe dies and it wont break. lim x ---> infinity = 30kg in this chart

Aluminum steadily declines after each cycle... Each cycle it handles less and less until it approaches 0. Mind you that would occur on 10^9 cycles, but still. With aluminum, if you put a gram on it and cycled it for 1 billion years, it would probably break, as it eventually approaches 0, that red line... Hyperbole here but you get the point. lim x---> infinty = 0 kg
I don't think you understand what the endurance limit testing entail's! Reverse bending is how that's done and not just putting weight on it,when aluminum frames are made properly the wall thickness of the tubes is generally twice as thick compared to steel and still remains lighter.Weak points like the dropout above need to be thicker and gusseted then will last forever! I've never seen a Felt or even a faker frame fail at that point because if you look at the geometry and thickness there they did it right,guy's with very heavy 4 strokes use that frame with 200+ lb riders.

Isn't that frame a full suspension frame? I think that contributed to that stress crack a lot. Can we see a pic of the whole bike from the side?

Back