Broken motor mount studs

C

cedric

I came home from a ride and found the rear motor mount studs completely gone. The clamp was also gone too, obviously, and I am guessing it snapped in half. How did the two threaded studs come out? Is there any hope of using this motor again?

Thanks

G

gone_fishin

are you saying there are two holes where the studs used to be? or, are the two studs snapped off flush?

sorry it's under such circumstances, but welcome, cedric :)

C

cedric

that's correct. there are two holes where the studs used to be. there seems to be some blackish oil leaking out of them too.

thanks for the welcome!

G

gone_fishin

that's strange, for sure...from your replies, it seems all you should have to do is replace the studs...maybe you know someone local who could have a look at the threads?

why it happened? dunno, not enuff info...got pics?

C

cedric

sorry, i can't get pics at the moment.

are the study basically sections of threaded rod? can i go to the home depot, get some threaded rod that fits, and cut it to size?

G

gone_fishin

basically, yes, but use the appropriate material: i'd suggest going to an auto-parts jobber or small engine repair shop.

C

cedric

would the appropriate material be steel? i'm assuming home depot sells aluminum rod.

would it be possible just to sink the right size (or *very slightly* larger bolts through the bracket right into the mounts?

thanks alot for all your help!

G

gone_fishin

no, don't force anything, that's not the most quality of cast alloy & it will crack...match the threads correctly, go to dax's site in the "parts" section to see what you need. i do believe peeps have used bolts...anyone else care to jump in here?

Thread Status: Hello , this thread is over 3 years old. You can still reply if relevant, but sometimes it's better to create a new thread to get more replies!