Broken Mount stud

fastboy9
just wedged in place yeah?

Just remember, it was originally made to mark with a centrepunch where to drill the hole in the front down tube.
To make it work right though, you will still require the 2 suspension rubbers because that large centre bolt,nuts,washer and "shims" made from washers shaped on the grinder is not from the HT kit either.

Also the plate's centre hole, I had to reshape it rectangle ( up-down) to allow for some minor adjustment so the back mount bracket sits perfectly square. I actually missed the correct drill hole on the down tube by 1/4" too low and the pedal hit the engine when I first mounted it.
As you tighten the front bolt, it will pull the engine down on the 2 rubbers placed between the centre bolt, but hard up against the top of the wooden wedge.
The stress point of the torque/twist is then absorbed by the wood, it seems.

As it is tightening downwards, keep squaring the engine at the rear mount.
Then tighten the rear mount last.

Good thread,lots of info.but anybody notice it should be in Frame Mount.hehe. louis

if you still need to remove a broken stud from engine...
I have had success using a dremel to cut a slot into the broken stud,
then backing out the remnant with a screwdriver

Been in the trade for many years if all else fails you can use a very sharp center punch. Just put it off center and tap it downwards, but yes I know ya have already got it out.

Ya, Fatboy67 is correct. Put the center punch at the edge and strike it straight down to make your dimple then hold the punch at a 35 or so degree angle and strike it toward the side going from right to left in a C.C. counter clockwise motion. If you have to redoit on the opposit side.
Doc

You must mean 3/8". Bring it over and we can try. :)

You might be better off taking it to a motorcycle shop for removal. Plead your case. The last broken studs I removed were in the top of a Packard engine block.

I think they are 6mm

Back