broken rear motor mount stud help!!!

I've broken several motor mount studs on my Huffy mountain bike. I've decided that the problem is that I cannot position the engine in such a way as to square both motor mounts to my bike's tubes. I'm just gonna pull the kit off and put it on a cruiser bike frame with a manufactured front mount. I haven't broken any studs on my cruisers.

Anyway, getting the broken stud out has been pretty simple.
I use a 1/8" drill bit to drill a hole in the stud to a depth of about 1/8". I then take a #2 square head screwdriver bit and tap it in with a hammer. (The kind that inserts into a screwdriver handle). Then I use a 1/4" socket to extract the broken stud.

Once, this didn't work because I had used loc-tite on the stud. I replaced the square head with a small flat head screwdriver bit. It came out easily then.

I don't know about the oil coming out of the stud hole. I haven't experienced that on my Powerking 49cc engines.

Last edited:
I've broken several motor mount studs on my Huffy mountain bike. I've decided that the problem is that I cannot position the engine in such a way as to square both motor mounts to my bike's tubes. I'm just gonna pull the kit off and put it on a cruiser bike frame with a manufactured front mount. I haven't broken any studs on my cruisers.

Anyway, getting the broken stud out has been pretty simple.
I use a 1/8" drill bit to drill a hole in the stud to a depth of about 1/8". I then take a #2 square head screwdriver bit and tap it in with a hammer. (The kind that inserts into a screwdriver handle). Then I use a 1/4" socket to extract the broken stud.

Once, this didn't work because I had used loc-tite on the stud. I replaced the square head with a small flat head screwdriver bit. It came out easily then.

I don't know about the oil coming out of the stud hole. I haven't experienced that on my Powerking 49cc engines.

When I drilled it out I found that the thread goes all the way through, right into the crank casing :-s. So thats probably where the oil is coming out from. I had my engine upside down when I was tapping it though so didnt notice.

If I have to drill it out, would I have to take the engine apart and clean the metal fillings out since it does go all the way through?

It's very satisfying once you see that broken stud moving in the right direction. Isn't it?
Congratulations!
For what it's worth, you should make sure the rear mount fits squarely against the down tube when yoou put the motor back on in order to avoid future stud failures.
I also try to dampen the shock force by putting a small piece (2-3 mm) of fuel line between the mounting nut and the metal mounting strap. The theory sounds good.
Good luck!

That is why it broke, it wasn't flush when mounted. I'm going to file it down till it is perfect.

Also I am going to replace the studs... again.... with this steel of known high quality as to avoid any future headaches (hopefully)

I went over to Mike Simpson's place the other day to pick up some gaskets for the job.

Back