Broken rear wheel and coaster break

Tomilludo98

Local time
10:49 AM
Hey guys, I need some help. I am a first time owner of a motorized bicycle. So I need some advice on repairs. While riding, I remember I pressed the break too hard and I broke the coaster break. Another problem I noticed was that my rear tire wobbled when I tired to put it back together, and it did not align perpendicularly with the frame, as well as the coaster break wobbled when putting it inside the rim, the spokes are perfectly fine.

Do I need to get a new coaster break to install on the wheel? Or can I buy a rim already welded with a coaster break?

Or am I better off buying a new rim and installing disc brakes instead? keep in mind I have an 80cc engine, 25-30MPH top speed. And if I am going to fix it, better myself or take it to a motorcycle or bike shop?

Here are some photos for reference, second to last photo the part bent, and the last photo is the end piece of the coaster break that completely snapped off.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_175635.jpg
    IMG_20200610_175635.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20200610_171053.jpg
    IMG_20200610_171053.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20200518_142002.jpg
    IMG_20200518_142002.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20200527_150756.jpg
    IMG_20200527_150756.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20200527_150830.jpg
    IMG_20200527_150830.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 238
I have the same exact silly bBike. Just broke my brake too. When I took it apart, the thing was in shambles. I did some research. It seems you wanna do yourself a solid and upgrade to a good shimano cb-e110. It has a star pattern on the brake arm which will be more secure than that goofy oblong square notch.

Its more brakes! More braking power is always kick ass. More any power.
More like it breaks way more. A coaster brake isnt more braking power. Disc brakes are far more durable and efficient than a coaster or drum brake. They also won't cause your wheel to lock up and cause a crash when you least expect it. My bike does mid 50mph and I want to be able to stop safely and quickly. I use cable pull hydraulic brakes with 203mm rotors front and rear. There's lost of post on the forum about coaster brakes and how terrible they are but go ahead it's your life and money.

More like it breaks way more. A coaster brake isnt more braking power. Disc brakes are far more durable and efficient than a coaster or drum brake. They also won't cause your wheel to lock up and cause a crash when you least expect it. My bike does mid 50mph and I want to be able to stop safely and quickly. I use cable pull hydraulic brakes with 203mm rotors front and rear. There's lost of post on the forum about coaster brakes and how terrible they are but go ahead it's your life and money.
Use em all. Why quit?

Eh, coaster wheels arnt that bad, ive used them on all my current bikes with minimal issues
Main thing is to get the adjustment right
But, dont rely on them 100% as thats when they overheat and start failing, if you use quality grease and keep them working they will last you quite a while

If you do decide to keep using a coaster brake (which I don't recommend), the wheel CANNOT have any side to side slack or else the brake shoes will jump over their barriers and end up next to each other and that's what makes the wheel wobble terribly and will break bearings and will stop the brake from working until fixed. Make sure the lock nut is tight next to the cone nut and that the fork nuts are tightened to about 25 ft lbs of torque or about as tight as you can with a regular ratchet. Don't brake too hard with it and don't use it as your only brake.

You do have the option of converting the coaster brake wheel to a freewheel by just taking out the brake shoes. So far it is working good for me after really fine tuning the tightness good. I don't know exactly how long I had it on like that, I'd say under 10 hours of riding.

Back