Engine Trouble Broken woodruff key

anonvx

Local time
7:38 PM
Hi, I finally built my 2 stroke engine kit today. I had it running and drove it for about 3 hours. Well I was driving it and I engaged the clutch to make a sharp turn. When i reengaged the clutch i had no power. The motor rpm also increased. I turned it off and checked the clutch and it was fine but the gears spun freely. I narrowed it down to the crankshaft gear. I saw on a forum that it was woodruff key i had broken. But I can't seem to access it. The screw won't turn. Any ideas on how to get to it? I already chewed the screw up a little. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 229
Put a dime or penny between the gears and get a big flathead screwdriver, it should come off. I wouldn’t run one for more than an hour and a half. If it was the key it probably wasn’t fully seated or loose or it could have been installed wrong.

Last edited:
Put a dime or penny between the gears and get a big flathead screwdriver, it should come off. 3 hours is a lot for a ht engine they say you shouldn’t run them continuous like that. I wouldn’t run one for more than an hour and a half. If it was the key it probably wasn’t fully seated or loose or it could have been installed wrong.
Gears spin freely so that doesn’t work. And it wasn’t continuous.

It has to be your clutch key then get a 19mm or 3/4 socket on the output sprocket and one on the clutch side so you can remove the clutch.
Clutch works fine. Its the crankshaft gear. It spins freely. No resistance when turning it. The engine doesn’t turn over when turning the gear.

Do you have a piston stop? I would hit that screw with a propane torch and try it again. You can also hold the nut on the magneto side. The screw probably has loctite on it. Better yet put a flat bit in a power drill and put it on the torque setting.

Do you have a piston stop? I would hit that screw with a propane torch and try it again. You can also hold the nut on the magneto side. The screw probably has loctite on it. Better yet put a flat bit in a power drill and put it on the torque setting.
I have a piston stop. Driver did the trick thanks.

Back