Engine Trouble BT80 running rich and nothing fixes it

Not saying me specifically, just in general. Its obvious your ego gets the best of you sometimes. Why are you talking about my am6, to change the subject?? Its great FYI, finally have a clutch sorted that will actually hold the power. So far 12k is where im pegged, likely from the stock cdi is way to advanced up high. Were getting there. I am still confident on the 18hp, or at least damn near close to it. Theres literally no comparison of speed to ktm65. It has a 6 speed trans. However its max rpm is around 12.5k and makes about 15-16hp. That's definitely comparable to where im at. And funny you mention the ktm 65, you know the engine that is manufacturer suggested to run 60:1. Huh interesting. Not saying I would run 60:1 but hey ktm knows best
Just like I said the ignition is not meant for it!Geared helps it get unloaded and up into the range faster but it's final speed is due to the hp made at the given rpm.As for the KTM yes they recommend 60:1 with a full synth for regular riding NOT racing and this is because they used a forged piston in a l/c engine not air cooled big difference.

Just like I said the ignition is not meant for it!Geared helps it get unloaded and up into the range faster but it's final speed is due to the hp made at the given rpm.As for the KTM yes they recommend 60:1 with a full synth for regular riding NOT racing and this is because they used a forged piston in a l/c engine not air cooled big difference.
Im aware, I knew that from the start. Fully programmable ignition is going in soon. Yea the final drive ratio is a bit taller than what im at now and top speed is comparable. Overall gear for gear they nearly identical. When i suggest the leaner mix to OP it is in reference to regular riding

Talk as much math as you want, it's called Poiseuille flow, I'm a mechanical engineer so this is a basic fluid dynamics concept. It absolutely does form drops. It may not be visible drops but on a molecular level it is, this is basic adhesion/cohesion. Every single restriction will cause a higher friction factor for the airflow, hence adding the larger boundary layer within the tube. It's not completely de-atomized to drops but with these intakes, it does add decrease atomization efficiency, enough to make a difference for sure. With a 95% certainty bet that if a different intake was used the 4 stroking symptom would clear up instantly.

Running lots of oil is a very old school way of thinking, which makes sense given your background. In your times' oil was not nearly as developed as it is now. Today synthesized oil technology has gotten to the point that you can even run 100:1 reliably all day long, which many do. Sure old conventional oils need the really heavy mix, but those oils are a thing of the past. Catching up with the times, a good quality synthetic can be run at 40:1-50:1 from the start, they're literally formulated for these ratios at break-in. I have about 400+ engines to prove it to, many with thousands upon thousands of miles as well. I have many china girls making 8+ hp running 10k all the time, WOT pulls, and the cylinders look flawless. What I'm trying to point out is the heavy oil mix isn't needed for break-in, in fact, it hurts long-time performance, you can run less oil at ZERO sacrifice of reliability nowadays. Sure your mix works for you, but I'm sure they would be running a lot better if you went a little leaner from the beginning. Can't even count how many engines I've seen fail from too much oil, its ridiculous.

i'm just glad you dont work on anything of mine. you are not as learned as you believe you are. thats the problem with all these experts, they don;t really know what they are talking about. sorry, but you really should go back to school for a refresher. not being mean, just dead honest.

i'm just glad you dont work on anything of mine. you are not as learned as you believe you are. thats the problem with all these experts, they don;t really know what they are talking about. sorry, but you really should go back to school for a refresher. not being mean, just dead honest.
Explain. I think you may think you something that you really don't. I'm pretty well versed in these things considering its my job

Last edited:
My apologizes to the op for getting carried away on your thread!Your intake is fine,as is your mix the rich condition can be caused by so many things but your taking the right steps to solve the issue!

Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and seek local professional help. The local lawnmower repairman, usually some old guy that sells rebuilt lawnmowers on Craigslist or Facebook market place can be your best friend. Every town has one, and there is usually one n most neighborhoods.

All other things aside, I honest to god do not think your intake is fine. They suck! I would put money on swapping it out for a shorty intake or something will resolve all of your issues

mmmm not really. If its still 4 stroking its definitely not lean. 28:1 is dumb rich, youll never seat your rings with that much oil. Bearings are plenty fine running dry at 1000 rpm for hours on end. As soon as bearings are initially coated they're good to go to full rpm. Anyone that builds real motors will go balls out for a few heat cycles and then you're good to go.

As to OP, its still 4 stroking because the offset intake, those intakes are so restrictive and they dont allow the fuel to stay atomized. When the fuel travels though the intake, it adheres to the walls and turns it into little drops of fuel instead of the mist. Thats what caused the 4stroking. A china offset will never run correctly.
Wrong on the offset intake never running right. I have built plenty of them with offset intakes that run like champs.

Wrong on the offset intake never running right. I have built plenty of them with offset intakes that run like champs.
I've also built many that have run fine with them, but never to their true potential. But have also seen more that have run like s**t with them on, as far as flow design they are BAD. All I'm saying is if he swaps intakes and it clears up, I wont say I'm not surprised. Theres a reason why proper built 2 strokes dont have 6 inch long intakes with 2 45 degree pie cut angles in them

Back