Bucking bar ball bearing lube schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanx Gearnut! So I remove the set screw and then remove the outer clutch plate star nut with a drift punch and hammer? Do I then pull in the clutch lever to expose the clutch bearings or do I need to pry at the clutch? I do now understand about the bucking bar lube and have done that about 100 miles ago. I understand that the ring gear and its drive gear can get noisy when they're not lubed. Do the clutch bearings or any other mechanical parts make noise when they start to get dry? Thanx again-Gearhead

No. Remove the set screw. Next squeeze in the clutch lever and lock it in with the button on the lever or hold it in with tape, wire, string, or a zip-ty around the hand grip. This will relieve all spring tension from the flower nut and outer plate allowing you to turn the flower nut with your finger tips. Push in on the outer plate to compress the helper spring if it gives you trouble. There should never be a reason to use brute force to turn the flower nut. It spins very easily without pressure on it.

Thanx Gearnut! So I remove the set screw and then remove the outer clutch plate star nut with a drift punch and hammer?
Answered on previous post.
Do I then pull in the clutch lever to expose the clutch bearings or do I need to pry at the clutch?
You expose a very small gap between the clutch ring gear and clutch hub by pushing the ring gear away from the small crank gear. (You should not have to push or pry very hard to to this. Applying excessive force to do this may result in damage.) You will only get a teeny gap by doing this. If you look carefully with a flash light you might be able to see the small bearings through the very small gap.
I do now understand about the bucking bar lube and have done that about 100 miles ago. I understand that the ring gear and its drive gear can get noisy when they're not lubed. Do the clutch bearings or any other mechanical parts make noise when they start to get dry?
Yes, all bearings and gears will make noises when they get dry of lubrication. It may take a trained ear to pick out the different noise when the hub bearings get dry when the noise is intermingled with all the other noises the engine makes. The gears however will howl or whine louder when dry.
Thanx again-Gearhead
You are welcome.

Last edited:
It has been a long time since I lubed a happytime I forgot to add the ball and pin .
On the drive chain side of the engine remove the cover.
A small rod will be sticking out of the center of the shaft that holds the drive sprocket.
Remove it then use a magnet to remove the ball that is also in the center of the shaft.
Pack the hole with lube reinsert the ball add more lube then add the rod . grease the rotating shaft that actuates the clutch.and reinstall the cover.

The only thing I have ever needed to relube after the first time is the bean sized blob on the clutch side,
and the ball and pin

The main clutch spring and the 56 tiny bearings seem to last if you use good lube.

If you hear noise it is usually the ball and pin .Do check the bean sized area also.

Thanx guys! Excellent advice! So by slightly pushing LATERALLY on the clutch, I will create a small gap opposite this pressure point and be able to carefully spritz a small amount of Lithium grease, correct? I guess that the clutch pivots slightly around it's center axis and this pivoting gives me the small gap I need to lube,correct?
BTW, this is GREAT info! I guess that I would follow the same outer clutch plate removal to replace the clutch pads? Is there anything specific I need to know to replace the clutch pads? I guess that you just pull the old ones out and insert the new ones, after cleaning the outer clutch plate? What do you use to clean the outer clutch plate? Is there any average life span of these clutch pads? Thanx again!:)-Gearhead

Yes, push laterally on the ring gear. The clutches are so poorly made that the ring gear fitment does have some slop on the bearings and hub.
Using a sharp razor blade, trim the pads whether they are new or used, to fit freely in the pockets. Not a sloppy fit, just so they will be able to have a light push fit. They typically have a ridge all around the circumference that will interferer with proper clutch operation as the pads wear down. Do not grind or sand on the pads as they may contain asbestos. Never ever breath in asbestos or even give yourself the slightest chance of breathing it in.
There is no average life span for the friction pads that I have heard of yet.

Thanx again Gearnut! When these clutch bearings start becoming dry, will I be able to hear them? Just don't want to lube them unnecessarily, esp. if I risk getting the clutch pads contaminated:(-Gearhead

It is really hard to hear them over all the other noises that the engine makes, especially the gear whine from the transmission gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back