Budget boat build (under 200$)

mark20

Welp, im bored and since carona has killed my drill and the school. I figured id do a budget boat build.
I will be using a seahawk 2 inflatable and my own custom motor mount (going to be making it out of pipe and wood, as i dont trust the plastic ones)
The motor in question is a 1930s 1-3hp gas motor i got when i visited a antique shop ( vacationing with my family, I just couldn't resist for 20$)
The shop owner said it doesnt run and its been in his shop for about 5 years or so.
Got it running same day i got home (cleaned the points and fixed the throttle and pullstart, as well as cleaned the carb) . It runs like a top!! Filled up the gear oil reserve and all it needs is some on water carb tuning.

That's as much as i got done today and the boat in question should be here next Thursday.

Should be a lot of schetchy fun!! (And yes, im going on the Mississippi river as soon as i get it)

Attachments

mark20

That's pretty cool.
Thanks, they had a 2 there on display.
this one and the other one was probably from the 50s, it was 6hp but it was seized up and the prop was missing. They also wanted wayy wayy too much for it (if i remember correctly it was like 380$)
wish i took a picture. That thing looked like it came right out of the show room.

Chainlube

I have a '73 Evinrude 2 HP Mate for my wooden tender. It needs a tune up, I might look into electronic ignition.

mark20

I have a '73 Evinrude 2 HP Mate for my wooden tender. It needs a tune up, I might look into electronic ignition.
Id keep the points. As there the most fixable and reliable ignition system there is.
That or you could possibly convert it to a NOVA 2 solid state ignition. Costs about 10$ and seems to be a affordable alternative.

Id double check to see if it fits but heres the link

Wrench

I just noticed the H/D Spark Plug. That's a cool piece.
The ignition mod. is what most guys use to replace points now a days. I would use one.

mark20

I just noticed the H/D Spark Plug. That's a cool piece.
The ignition mod. is what most guys use to replace points now a days. I would use one.
Yea I'd personally never had a problem with points after a good cleaning, they just seem to keep on running and running. But my buddy uses these things on older outboards (he flips them, kinda like what i do with general power equipment) hes had great success with them. But there are 1 or 2 bad apples that sometimes wont work well with them.

Also the harley Davison sparkplug makes it all worth all 20$ i paid for it 😆

CrazyDan

Did you know it had that hd plug when you bought it, or was it a pleasant surprise when you got it home?

mark20

Did you know it had that hd plug when you bought it, or was it a pleasant surprise when you got it home?
It was a pleasant surprise. I basicly pulled the engine over once (cord was stuck and it wouldnt Retract) and it had compression and the prop was spinning.

Figured ill just keep it on the engine, as it sparks pretty good