Build-A-Kit

FrizzleFried

Local time
2:33 AM
I'm sitting here thinking... (I know... dangerous)... and I'm thinking ... "What the scene really could use is a BUILD-A-KIT option somewhere..."

I dunno about you, but I am building a collection of crappy "kit" components I'd never use.

I'm surprised there isn't a vendor out there with a "Build-A-Kit" option. Something where you can choose the motor you want... then a drop down for the size gas tank you want... (2L, 3L, 4L)... then a drop down for the type of tensioner you want (none, stock, arch, spring)... the a drop down for the type of throttle you want (stock, upgraded), a drop down for the type of rim connection (rag, CNC hub, perhaps even offer some high end rims w/sprickets here), a drop down for the type of carburator you want, etc... etc... etc...

Basically a system you can build (and pay for) the engine you want rather than picking up a kit to waste a bunch of parts with then upgading from there.

If I only had about $20K to to throw around... I could build something myself.

;)

www.bigdawgmotorized.com maybe? ;)

M/B kits from China are cheep

For someone to warehouse all the different parts and offer them separate so someone could choose and build a kit
They couldn't compete with prices.
Sellers that do that are Custom Build and it's gonna cost ya

Build a kit, ya always can buy everything separate on line, It's gonna cost ya
That's why after ya buy a Kit, Then you upgrade it and buy that different tank or whatever it is that ya want

You can go on eBay, Amazon, Ali, and several other places and just buy an engine. You can also buy individual parts at several places.

However, most beginner builders want a one-time/one-place order. They're also looking for the cheapest kit they can find.

The nail on the head has been touched on a couple of times. The cost. Pick a part style would simply cost more than the generic junk they throw in a box.

Another aspect of it is experience. For people that have built a bike and know what they want, and what works best for them, it would be great. For the random person just getting into the hobby there is a ton of information to sift through and it will overwhelm them. They just want to get started as easy and simply as possible. That is why the kits are the way they are.

Back