Build cost for my project (to date)

javelina1

Local time
2:34 PM
I first found out about the MB's, after scanning Craigslist for some bike parts. Not at all looking for an MB, but a seller popped up under the bike parts section. I'm an avid MTB'er, and am always looking for mountain bike parts. I came across someone selling new Grubee Gen II's. I was interested, so I did a little researching, and came across this website. So I became hooked after reading up on MB's.... As they say, the rest is history...

Well a month later, I bought my first China Girl kit. (A Grubee Gen II, from who is now my buddy, via Cragslist). Here's a breakdown of my purchase list to build my first bike. (note, I say first, cause I want to build another!! :D ).

Bill of Materials:

- Grubee Gen II Motor Kit - $150.00 (cash money, via Craigslist).

- Schwinn Sierra MOS MTB (via Craigslist) - $25.00

- Head & rear engine studs (via USABikeMotors.com) - $13.50

- Front engine mount (via Sick Bike Parts) - $14.95 - (Note, I couldn't use this mount kit on the Grubee Gen II front mount. It does not work with the Grubee Gen II. The Grubee is a bit wider than the standard 1.6" width between between the China Girl front mounts. So I ate this cost. (no blame on Sick Bike, they've been cool).

- 7 Speed rear wheel (freehub), 36 spoke - $30.00. (the rag clamp bolts up just fine now with the 36h rear wheel).

- 2x M6 - 1.0 all thread via Ace Hardware. (replaced the front engine mount studs). - $3.50

- dual pull brake lever - $11.00 (via Ebay). Pulls both the front & rear brakes.

- 5x super slime inner tube (for the rear tire) - Walmart - $10.00

- Slime tire liners (front & back tires) - Walmart - $10.00

- 7 speed, Shimano under the bar MC-40 shifters. (the set on the Schwinn were junk). eBay for a new set - $25.00

- fuel filter (via Sick Bike) - $4.95

total cost for project number one:

$298.35

Yeah, that sounds about right. A person might think, "with the bike I already have, I could be up and running for about $150". But there are a few miscellaneous costs, of course.
For a newbie, that's likely to be about $100. But after learning a thing or two, that total could be shaved a bit, I'm sure.

So, are you running yet?

Yeah, that sounds about right. A person might think, "with the bike I already have, I could be up and running for about $150". But there are a few miscellaneous costs, of course.
For a newbie, that's likely to be about $100. But after learning a thing or two, that total could be shaved a bit, I'm sure.

So, are you running yet?

are you running yet = "I'm rock'n dude!!!!" you betcha!!!

I can't wait until after I break this motor in. dang, wish I would've found out about MB's sooner. :D

Wow! Now there's some enthusiasm!

Everyone who reads this will be glad it's going well for you. And we'll all crack a smile, remembering how we felt on some of the earliest rides.

thanks buddy!

I've been tweaking the HT for the last week now. Per all of the info gained from here. I've been running dino 2 stroke oil in the 1st tank, and still have a bit to go with the first gallon jug. So tomorrow, I'm going to take a 10 mile ride and see how things go.

Lot's of blue loctite, etc, now.

What I'd like to get is a good springer saddle, (nice and wide). Plus, I'll be adding the #41 chain this weekend too. I've also purchased a Honda oil/foam air filter, which I'll cut a diameter to fit my air cleaner.

So I'll be adding another $35 - $50.... (d*mn this hobby!!!!) :whistle:

I actually hit almost 30 miles today. (over 3 different rides). Love this motor/bike setup. Now on my second 16:1 dino oil mix. After which I'll go to the 80/20 synthetic/castor mix. This bike is a hoot!!!!!

What I've since ordered (to update my cost list):

- NGK B5HS plug
- Engine bolt/screw hardware (to replace the Chinese non grade stuff)
- Carb O-ring

: $22 (via SBP)

Plan to buy from Lowe's a #41 chain
Plan to buy from Performance Bike the Forte VersaTrak Rear Tire

Last edited:
Back