Build progress & pics.

Local time
4:27 PM
I have some pics and updates scattered about, decided to consolidate to one thread. Still a work in progress, will be updated as completed.

Descriptions for pics:

Bike: this is the frame prior to any mods, and before i got the stand. it's a pain in the rear to work on these things on the floor.

Stand_1 & 2: much better. rear wheel removed so that i could measure the hub and enlarge the drive sprocket appropriately.

Sprocket_hole_1 & 2: this is how i figured dead center on the sprocket, not sure that it worked 100%, seems like its about 1/16th off. the drill press (referenced later) and hole saw. LOW rpms are required for cutting this type of metal, i learned this after about 4 hours, a bunch of smoke, and one detoothed hole saw later.

Hardware_1, 2 & 3. new stainless allens acquired for the engine, as well as new studs cut to length.

Engine_1 & 2: covers and head removed for painting.

Springer_1, 2 & 3: springer fork pre and post install. you will notice that the fender supports are not attached yet, i am in the middle of making a bracket that allows them to be bolted down securely. during my last attempt i accidentally wrapped my finger around the above drill press, ouch, so build will be slow until it heals. (i have pics, but will spare you.)

Painted_Sprocket: Got it back from paint this morning, turned out sweet. he is currently painting the cylinder head, engine covers, tensioner brackets and engine mounting hardware. should be done saturday, will post.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 529
  • Stand_1.jpg
    Stand_1.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Stand_2.jpg
    Stand_2.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 377
  • Sprocket_hole_1.jpg
    Sprocket_hole_1.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 384
  • Sproket_hole_2.jpg
    Sproket_hole_2.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 386
  • Hardware_1.jpg
    Hardware_1.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 348
  • Hardware_2.jpg
    Hardware_2.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 334
  • Hardware_3.jpg
    Hardware_3.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 331
  • Engine_1.jpg
    Engine_1.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 444
  • Engine_2.jpg
    Engine_2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Springer_1.jpg
    Springer_1.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 370
  • springer_2.jpg
    springer_2.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 375
  • springer_3.jpg
    springer_3.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Painted Sprocket_1.jpg
    Painted Sprocket_1.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 402
painted sprocket mounted up and balanced. looks pretty cool. interested to see how long that paint actually stays on there. :/

so i then put the back wheel on, finally. trying to decide if the fenders/seat post/handlebar combination is the look i want. or if it will be remotely comfortable. maybe some 13" apes would work? hoping to get all these questions sorted and the chassis situated before the the engine is back from paint. Lord knows if that will actually happen.

Attachments

• Mounted Sprocket.jpg
    Mounted Sprocket.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Mounted Sprocket_2.jpg
    Mounted Sprocket_2.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 380
  • Fenders_1.jpg
    Fenders_1.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 463
  • Fenders_2.jpg
    Fenders_2.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 386
New pics from weekend ventures. was in advance auto and saw a sweet little pod filter for 8 dollars, just about the size of the old filter (if that even qualifies). opened it up a bit, drilled some holes and there you have it.

got the cylinder head back from paint, didnt get to shave the fins (was distracted by the portugal motoGP race), but it still looks nice. should have the fins done this week, and hopefully will have the crank case prepped for him to paint. i also sanded down the pitted chrome exhaust and sent that off to be painted, should be ready by the weekend.

Attachments

• Filter_1.jpg
    Filter_1.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 346
  • Filter_2.jpg
    Filter_2.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Head_1.jpg
    Head_1.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 339
  • Head_2.jpg
    Head_2.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 367
update:

finally got the head fins shaved. looks ok. i may have liked it better all black though.

got my m6 x 1.0 stainless rod from mcmaster, cut down 4 new head studs out of it.

engine_3 gives you an idea of what it will look like. opted not to paint the case, still undecided if this was the best plan of attack.

borrowed a tap and got the intake drilled and threaded for the boost bottle.

cut some vibe reducing rubber pieces out of old inner-tube. i ran a heat test on it, doesn't even think about melting at temps of 550º F, just gets hot. which surprised me. also wrapped the frame with it, then electrical tape, where the ubolts are going to mount to the frame. the flash makes this shot look weird, but you can hardly even tell its there in person.

Attachments

• Head_3.jpg
    Head_3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Head_Studs.jpg
    Head_Studs.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 365
  • Engine_3.jpg
    Engine_3.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 345
  • Tap.jpg
    Tap.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Tap_1.jpg
    Tap_1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Rubber_1.jpg
    Rubber_1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 344
  • rubber_2.jpg
    rubber_2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 325
Last edited by a moderator:
Top stuff

Wow you don't do things by half. Looks really good. I am copying one of your ideas. I have some 3mm thick rubber to stick on the clutch cast casing. I will either stick it with silicon or there is another type of silicon called sicflex it's a bit pricey but sticks like **** to a blanket. Also I have been meaning to ask about how well having rubber under your mounts stops vibration. I have some 2mm rubber for this but I'm not real sure if I will be able to get it to fit if you know what I mean as the mounting brackets are a real tight fit on the frame. I might have to try and make some new ones, or file some more on these ones. Do you think its worth the effort??????

I have some 2mm rubber for this but I'm not real sure if I will be able to get it to fit if you know what I mean as the mounting brackets are a real tight fit on the frame. I might have to try and make some new ones, or file some more on these ones. Do you think its worth the effort??????

i tracked down u-bolts that were the exact diameter of the frame tubes, opened them up some, then made some mounting plates. will post pics once mounted. as far as if it was worth the effort, i guess i will find out once its running.

it almost makes your real motorcycle jealous!

the R1 will ALWAYS have the horsepower advantage. so she is pretty content, knowing that. :)

Back