Building a Cheap Mini-Guzzi

Parah_Salin

Local time
12:04 PM
OK, I recently put a bid on a 66cc happytime motor kit, and figure that I could build myself a cool little moped pretty cheap.

my goal is to imitate this:
http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/1967_moto_guzzi_dingo.jpg

Though I think I'm going to want racier handlebars and some saddlebags. Saddlebags I can build NP.

So my idea is that I'll get the motor. If I can fit it in a BMX bike, I will. I really don't feel like keeping the pedals, so hopefully there will be enough room in there without them.

I'll try to get some sort of nice large fuel tank that mimick's the style of the guzzi...maby weld one up myself...what sort of metal works best for fuel tanks? Regular steal OK, or do you want to go for stainless?

For a seat I want a long narrow one like that that I could put two people on. I figure I'll add a back rack (if I can find one sturdy enough and designed for a BMX bike), and then take a pice of bent steel tubing, put it in where the seat goes (same diameter of the seat post) and lay it over the back rack, which will be welded to the tube. I'll then build a wood and foam seat over the whole apparatus.

I saw the crotch rocket style handbars on one of the bikes up there and would like to do that very much. Would taking handlebars off a ninja pocket bike do the trick?

Finally, I saw some cool looking springer forks, and even though they aren't on the guzzi, are there any issues with putting springer forks on a BMX bike?

Alright, thanks for any advice, I hope this works.

Buying a used tank and seat from the same moped/motorcycle may ensure a better, more original looking fit.

Back