building a motorized bicycle, need help deciding on which motor should I buy?

Considering the OP already stated that she expects to spend as much on the bike as a decent moped would cost, she is clearly not interested in any Walmart bikes, which I would say pretty much makes your argument moot. You trust your life to a Walmart special when going offroad, you've got more cajones than I, so good for you? The OP wants a quality bike that is going to be reliable on and off the road. She doesn't want a Walmart special and neither will I recommend one for what she is looking for in a bike, so I'm not going to sit here and debate with you about it. I stand by the advice I've given. It's the OP's choice and I have no control over what she chooses to build or possibly have me build if that's the way she wants to go, but I won't recommend or build a Walmart special for off-roading. If you want to, go right ahead but I won't.

It would only make sense then to just recommend a used on/off road dirt bike, it wont vibrate much and you can get a okay bike for a low price($1000-$2000) and it would go 45+ much better then any homemade bicycle and safer overall.

sorry Cylon, but I don't buy things from Walmart, especially not for this project. thanks for the video though. This is going to be my main mode of transportation, I need good quality parts that I can rely on.

The kit four strokes are much more reliable than the kit two strokes when not abused and properly maintained.

Hi. I am new to this forum and looking to buy, build, or have someone build me a motorized bicycle. I need one that 1: goes pretty fast, at least 45mph, and 2: something that doesn't have that much vibration. I know there are the typical 80cc, 2-stroke engines, but it has too much vibration for me and I know there are a lot of motor options out there. I am a small female and sensitive to vibration, my arms will get very itchy when offroading on a bicycle if there is too much vibration and I have to get off the bike. I live in Florida, and I need something that has the least amount of vibration for the top amount to of speed. I thought about getting a 4-stroke engine, but I know they cannot go very fast and I need something that will go a decent speed because I will also be riding this on the road with a driver's license. I would rather not have too much noise because I live in a residential area. I would also like to go offroading on this bike, through trails and other places, though of course I won't be going top speed while offroading, I will probably only use the motor as an assist.

My last questions are 3: if I need to, or could add anything onto the bicycle to reduce the vibration (I know big wheels would help), and 4: if I can add a motor guard so that I don't get burned by the motor while riding(since I live in Florida, long pants are not an option).

Check this out, http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/5146385954.html
Its everything your looking for and in your state. Plus Im sure you could dicker him down some.

A dual sport motorcycle is not a bad way to go, but she will need a motorcycle license for that. I do have to agree that unless she really wants to be able to pedal, a dual sport bike is actually the best option, but it also depends on her budget.

That's a pretty good bike, and you can probably talk him down to 1500. I'm not in the market for a bike like that and I don't have the money for one anyway, but if the opposite were true I'd consider buying something like that for myself.

Yes, I want to be able to pedal, so that isn't something I would buy Cylon. I also do not want to get a motorcycle license.

Your only other option is this, https://motoped.com/pro/

It wont vibrate much but it still wont hit 45 I don't believe. Also you will have to stay under 50cc if you want to avoid getting a motorcycle endorsement. You could try to put a 212cc predator motor from harbor freight but the cops will probably take your bike and fine you if you get caught on the roads.

Actually, I believe there is an option somewhere between a Walmart special and a $2-3k motoped. My bike could easily handle offroad with different forks, brakes and tires. It might cost a little more than what I've got in it, but not much, probably only a few hundred and I've got about a grand in it. She doesn't need a motoped. I would say a light but strong cruiser frame with downhill forks, custom wheels, front disc and rear v-brakes with a 4 stroke kit wtih good offroad tires would be just the ticket.

Back