Building a new E-cumbent

Man, you just answered a question I've been debating mentally for quite a while now.

I, also, am pretty new to the forum, but not new to bikes. As I explained here, I am dealing with some issues that have motivated me to design my own semi-recumbent tadpole trike. Power options have been one of the last major hurdles. Gas has seemed best, due to range/power considerations, even though I really don't like the noise issues that raises. What you show in your write-up on your design, most especially the range attainable using the Li-polymer batteries, addresses that concern well.

Question: What options are available for charging systems? Specifically, can a solar panel charger handle the necessary demands? I am in the process of building a lightweight fold-out camping trailer to facilitate my love of traveling the backroads of this country, and wonder if I might be able to put a solar charger panel on that (perhaps detachable/freestanding at need). I plan to take the bike, once built, along in a rack on the top of the trailer, for use in short trip exploration of the parks and areas I travel to.

A solar panel has no regulation for the battery it is charging. This is fine for some batteries, but not Lithium. In that situation, I would suggest using a 12 volt solar panel to charge a large deep cycle battery. Then use a 12 volt charger to charge your Lithium pack.

Most good chargers have a 12 volt input. That is for field charging your battery from your car.

Also, with this system, if a cloud goes overhead, your charging will not be interrupted.

Matt

Hey, you will get a kick out of this.

Last week I got a call from an engineer who is starting an E-recumbent manufacturing buisness. They already have working prototypes, funding, etc. However, he wants to send out a rep to look at my bike to get ideas.

Ok, I though, that's cool. I love having my ego stroked. But, I just got an email from Actionbent. (the manufacturer of my recumbent). They want to license my design.

I guess there is interest in this type of design.

I sure hope it runs well!

Matt

I highly doubt anything will come of it.

I did speak to the owner yesterday, though. Basically they want me to outsource mechanical design to them for an E-recumbent. They are willing to change their production line for frame alterations and what-not per my spec. That is something.

Anyway, their head engineer is supposed to be getting in contact with me soon.

Hmm, maybe I can get them to shoot me one of their $2,800 carbon fiber trikes in exchange for some R&D work? :D

Matt

I highly doubt anything will come of it.

I did speak to the owner yesterday, though. Basically they want me to outsource mechanical design to them for an E-recumbent. They are willing to change their production line for frame alterations and what-not per my spec. That is something.

Anyway, their head engineer is supposed to be getting in contact with me soon.

Hmm, maybe I can get them to shoot me one of their $2,800 carbon fiber trikes in exchange for some R&D work? :D

Matt
Seriously, you have brought together a degree of knowledge and skills from related fields to make what seem to me to be a unigue product. "A workman is worthy of his hire", as the old saying goes, and your time and effort are worth much, much more than a one-off payment, especially a trivial payment like a bike.

Patent and/or copyright your work!

I know a young man who is a pretty good graphic artist, whose work was seen while he was still in school, by a fast-rising rock group. They purchased 16 images from him, which became their cover art and associated internal imagery in a major CD release. He sold the images outright, rather than licensing them.

The band was Seether, the album "Karma and Effect", and the imagery is worth millions now. He got $500 per image. By fairly normal recording industry standards, the cover image alone would have generated over $500K in royalties.

Don't short-change yourself.

I spent more time at the shop today. I am totally finished with the mechanical portion of the bike other than mounting the throttle. I pedalled the bike around to varify the function of the chain management and what-not. There is no discernable drag created by the second chain. That means it is still a useable bike, not just an electric bike.

The web site should be updated with the new pics and text soon.

Matt

Here are a few pictures of the bike and my milling machines.

Enjoy!

Matt

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 290
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 274
  • new6.jpg
    new6.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 297