Building an eTouring bike.

I prefer a bicycle air horn...
The great thing about tradition is it gives you a base to learn from then one can question is there a better way to improve any of it.
eeeeeeh... the Third Reich had a lot of traditions too. I overthink the crap out of things sometimes too but after riding a bike for over 55 years... we were late starters compared to kids today, I learned all on my own how to be a defensive (and safe) rider. I'm sure that some ear-piercing shrill warbling siren would be useful if you carry it long enough. Maybe trying to scare a bear away, or alerting people after I have ridden off the road and am in a ditch. I imagine if I carried a lance with me everywhere sooner or later it would be useful, but I have never had to unseat anyone before. By law, I am required to have a bell and do... it's at the bottom of my bar bag should a cop (or park ranger) ever call me on it. I am all for improvements, maybe autonomous driving vehicles will make things safer for riders, getting the human out from behind the wheel.

Thanks again for sharing B Basset... you defiantly have your system figured out.
🚴‍♀️💨
Don
Don, it's getting harder and harder for me to ride like I want too. Like they say, "getting old isn't for pussies". But you can still get out on some type of electric-assisted vehicle/bike/scooter/etc. Some old coot like you that has "done it all" shouldn't get used to sitting still. You can have fun on a 5 miles ride too man. I'm glad you looking at my rides bud. Stay safe.

The trick is gearing down for the Mountains,,, Alberta and Montana Rock...

Alaska,,, White Horse,,, the territories,,, Yukon,,, Northern Ontario and Quebec,,, New Foundland is a mecca of endless too...

We have the Trans Canada trial too,,, a few sections are closed too ohv,,, the majority is a go,,, the Iron horse and kettle valley trails are awesome,,,, 👍👍👍

Still a awesome build B,,, what neat setup,,, pretty much go any where/ every where 🚴‍♀️💨...

I like the Pan frame,,, well proven over the years

Exactly what do you mean by gearing down? As in setting up the drive system? For climbing? Or for descending? I have known people who take along different wheel setups for different terrains they'll be encountering.

Exactly what do you mean by gearing down? As in setting up the drive system? For climbing? Or for descending? I have known people who take along different wheel setups for different terrains they'll be encountering.
He simply means using lower gears so the bike can climb steeper inclines, or to sacrifice speed for climbing. Stay safe.

He simply means using lower gears so the bike can climb steeper inclines, or to sacrifice speed for climbing. Stay safe.
Many parks won't allow combustion engines in their trails but will allow bicycles. Soon I hope to build a 3000 watt mid drive bike with a 48V 60AH 3000W battery. The bike will be geared low with knobby tires, a trailer hitch and won't go any faster than 10 mph under electric power alone on level ground.

With such a bike older people and disabled individuals could then enjoy nature trails.

Many parks won't allow combustion engines in their trails but will allow bicycles. Soon I hope to build a 3000 watt mid drive bike with a 48V 60AH 3000W battery. The bike will be geared low with knobby tires, a trailer hitch and won't go any faster than 10 mph under electric power alone on level ground.

With such a bike older people and disabled individuals could then enjoy nature trails.
Anything over 750W is no longer a Class-1 ebike and virtually worthless to me. I want an ebike, not an electric motorcycle. With the right gearing that's still plenty of power to move even a heavily loaded ebike and trailer. Move up to a pair of 58.8V 35Ah lithium packs they are available now and will take you further than you will want to ride in a day. Although I have a total of 70Ah it's split between two 17 lb. packs. Remember that you will only want to use 65% of the pack's total capacity... don't charge past 85% or deplete past 20%. This will greatly extend the life of the batteries. That gives me 45.5Ah (2084Wh) without stressing the packs.

3000 watts geared for 10 mph could pull a small boat I'm sure of it. Brushless motors have "theoretically" unlimited torque. My wife's 36 volt "500" watt hub bike can go 27mph. That's fast as hell on cruiser bike with no suspension. She usually pedals though and uses light throttle assist for hills or sometimes she'll pedal away as far as she can, than motor back. Cruising around at 10 to 15 miles an hour even with no pedaling will get you a couple hours of riding time least. You better have a damn nice seat to ride more than 2 hours lol. I believe a set up for your specific needs can be built with 250 watt mid drive and a 13 amp hour battery. You'll be cruising at 10mph for hours and for a ton less $. Unless $ is of no concern to you than by all means please build and post pics of this 3000 watt 10 mph torque monster!

3000 watts geared for 10 mph could pull a small boat I'm sure of it. Brushless motors have "theoretically" unlimited torque. My wife's 36 volt "500" watt hub bike can go 27mph. That's fast as hell on cruiser bike with no suspension. She usually pedals though and uses light throttle assist for hills or sometimes she'll pedal away as far as she can, than motor back. Cruising around at 10 to 15 miles an hour even with no pedaling will get you a couple hours of riding time least. You better have a damn nice seat to ride more than 2 hours lol. I believe a set up for your specific needs can be built with 250 watt mid drive and a 13 amp hour battery. You'll be cruising at 10mph for hours and for a ton less $. Unless $ is of no concern to you than by all means please build and post pics of this 3000 watt 10 mph torque monster!

250W isn't enough except for a light unloaded bike... in my opinion. I go with the philosophy that it's better to have more than you need than less. Combine that with the CPSA definition of an ebike and that leaves you with a 750W Class-1 bike that can ride anywhere in America that bicycles are allowed. Combine a 750W mid-drive with a Rohloff Speedhub and you won't believe the result. Everyone else is just playing for second place.

I don't believe a cruise around the park requires a single thing more than the bicycle and rider but to each their own. I agree with your last 2 sentences. My next build will likely be a mid drive of some sorts but with a freewheel so i don't have to pedal if i don't want to.

Back