Building first motobike

C

caddymankc

Hi im kinda new here, im getting a 80cc motor off ebay from boygofast.How are the clutches on these engines?, im not the lightest person. Is there anything i should do to the motor to make it last longer before i run it?Iver read about sanding the flash from the casting anything else?Also how good of brakes do i need, ive got a huge frame shwinn road bike that has only front brakes.Thanks in advance:kc

Get the brakes safe before you put on the motor. You'll need front and rear brakes.

Front AND rear brakes are an absolute necessity. As for weight, I hover around 250 lbs and my motor has no problems hauling me around. Just remember that it is not a motorcycle, Baby it.

I echo Zev, a motored bike is not a motorcycle. Baby it. While its possible to slip the clutch from a dead stop (with a 44+ rear sprocket) the more you pedal off the line, the longer your clutch and engine will last. I pedal to at least 5 and more often about 10 mph before dumping the clutch.

Squirt some 2 stroke oil in through the spark plug hole for that first start and remember to file/grind the sides of the teeth on the rear sprocket or the chain will most likely jump off on your first roll.

I got it running today, i haven't been up to full throttle for more than 5 seconds at a time.I put it on a moon dog from walmart and i smashed the frame until it fit.The first moon dogs frame was cracked so i exchanged it. Thanks to everybody for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back