Building LED turn signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamtheha

Local time
7:01 AM
I want to be seen! Here in Alberta, it's a requirement to have a brake light...but where do you get one for a bike? Well, this might be a solution. With an onboard 12v battery, that I'm going to put on a nightly trickle charge, I'm going to build a very simple system using stuff from ebay. I found a flashing light hub, that has two outputs. I'm going to wire left and right into each output, with a switch that controls which side gets power (depending on which way I want to turn).
For the brake light, I'm going to use a brake lever from an e-bike that will illuminate the lamp when I brake. If I can get it working, I'll post some pics and a video tag with instructions. Everyone should have something like this, for safety reasons...

Check out some of the stuff on http://www.electricscooterparts.com/index.html
Personally I dont like buying from ebay very much and I've had great luck with that company, They sell the SLA batteries, smart chargers, brake levers with switches, fuses, wire, connectors etc etc etc. I've had a lot of luck with their products their stuff is definitely as advertised and they're quick with answering questions.
I'd say it would be really easy to wire up a 3 way switch with center being off and right or left activating a series loop with a simple led flasher module and led indicator light.

Let us know how it works out. Turn signals aren't a requirement here but I'd sure like to invest in the setup just for the safety and coolness factor. Hand signals can be dangerous some times.

Hey thanks, I didn't realize that they had all of that other stuff. I ordered the brake with switch, the left signal cluster, a 24v flasher, and a toggle switch. I got the signal lights off ebay. I'm thinking about rigging some flashing red and blues just for fun at work (I'm in Law Enforcement), but not for the general public.

Thats sweet are you a motoredBike riding cop?
Make a police MB, deck it out! That'd be the cooolest!

I'm not a police officer, I'm a Sheriff. Here in Alberta, there is a distinction. Hard to tell though, we dress like em'. I agree that it would kick some serious @$$.

I lived in PEI for a couple years a little while back. You've got a great country up there. Never been to Alberta though, I heard it was colder than PEI... burrrr.

If you're having any issues wiring this stuff up just post. Remember to get or borrow a multimeter just to make sure your polarities are correct, especially on the charging port. With the right resistors and other goodies you can wire just about anything up that you could on a car. You better post pictures for us if you get it working :)
ttyl!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I got a bunch of stuff in the mail, and I also visited Canadian tire. I've learned more than I ever thought I would about electrical connections.
I have a brake lever with switch, a handlebar grip with signal switch, horn and headlights.
I bought a couple signal flasher devices from the store, and I've got a couple LED lights on the way.
I don't want to buy a 12v battery, the cost is ridiculous, can I just connect a bunch of smaller batteries in series to make 12v? Could I use a 9v and 2 x 1.5v batteries? I guess I could buy 2 x 6v lantern batteries. I don't expect my setup to draw much amperage, probably less than one regular light would draw. The lights have resistors, but I will be wiring a 5 amp fuse on the hot wire from the battery pack.
Anything I might have missed?
If this works, it would be brake lights and signals for about $70.

I wouldn't suggest mixing different kinds of batteries, the 2 6v lantern batts in series will last a very long time but are very large. Given that you want to run a horn large batteries are the best way to go without going rechargeable. A good SLA battery may be $30-40 but if cared for will probably last just about as long as your engine.
Sounds like you have a good handle on things. Just be sure your polarities are correct and doublecheck everything before making the system "hot." use good insulating connectors and insulate every other connection that just might get shorted.
Post questions here if you're having problems, we'll definitely be able to figure it out as a group.

I've found the right kind of cordless drill battery can be picked up for 20 bucks, and hooked up for 2 dollars with some simple insulated alligator clips.

Just in case anyone was looking for a cheap rechargable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back