Building LED turn signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it! I built my lights and mounted them on the bike! I'm very pleased with the result, but I have some more work to do to get them perfect. I want to solder a cove for them, and seal them from rain and water and vibration. Please let me know what you think, and any ways I could improve them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjzHUHev0s

Nice NIce NICE!!! Glad you got them working they look really bright. It's a bummer about the cost of those lantern batteries though. Augi sent this to me in a PM it looks like a good price for a 7ah battery and charger.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN19

Now about your lights. did you just have to wire up the flasher module with the lights in series and just install a 3 way selector switch or what? This is probably my next accessory after I install my plate light.

Yes, basically...I bought a moped handgrip from electricscooterparts.com and it has a headlight switch, horn and signal switch. I wired the signal flasher into both sides, since only one side is going at a time. The wiring is a mess, but I've sealed and siliconed it since then. I'd like the back LED to serve as a brake eventually. I'm thinking of designing another system that uses two red lights as both brakes and signals, like a car. You could accomplish this with a 3 way toggle switch mounted on the handlebars. I don't know how to draw a wiring diagram, or I'd do it for you.
The signals have to be regular halogen lights or the system won't flash with a regular flasher. An electronic flasher is available, but costs more.

hi adam..

like yourself messing around making bike street legal aslo using a 12 volt system, if you need a horn go out and get a car horn any bicycle horns available on the market just not loud enough.... be warned though the 12 volt horn even in low tone has 105 descibles... ouch my ears are still ringing will have to dampen the noise just a tinnie little bit.... i had some parts from an electric kit lying around and have been able to use the prewired brake levers to work with my brake light.

thanks for the thread its helping me get the final parts of my bike in place , hopefully one day this year i will finally get around to putting the setup together.....

I used a scooter horn from electricscooterparts (the silver 12v one) its rated at 105db and works great. It's very compact and just as loud as my car horn. I wouldn't dampen mine, the point of a horn is to be heard. You dont have to draw a diagram though, just letting me know it was on a loop with the flasher was good enough. I'd probably personally buy some 12v rated signal lights as they're supposed to operate with regular car flashers but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Glad to know your experience with that vendor was as good as mine.

I did purchase the 12 volt lights, but any LED lights will work with both 6 volt and 12 volt. They just won't be as bright. There was a problem with one item that I received, the brake lever with electric switch was wired so that it shut off the circuit when the lever was pulled...exactly the opposite of what you would want! They did offer me a refund when I brought it up, which vindicates them in my books.
I bought a motorcycle horn off eBay for $15, so now I'm gonna be kicking @$$ on the streets! I'll be able to honk back when cagers harrass me for not riding my bike on the sidewalk.

just wondering will you have to put a set of indicators up front as well or do you just them on the back. I ordered that horn from scooter store all i can say on that it has got to be quieter than the car horn even though it has the same db rating,

My neighbor came over and i almost blew his ear drums out .. we did come up with an idea of putting it on a piece of 4 foot pvc pipe and anyone who tried to laugh at me with their hood or windows down, revenge would be mine.....

i was real lucky with my rear brake light i had some brake handles from an electric kit i had but never used, wired them up with a $5 walmart trailer light and it works perfectly.

Yeah, my next project is front indicator lights, but one thing at a time, I guess. I can't wait to hear my motorcycle horn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back