Building my own gas tank

In a way it is. Since it is the first tank I have ever built, it is much harder to make the change from 2 dimensional to 3-D. After having cut out the side panels I noticed that it doesn't fit like a flat piece....duh on my part. I decided to just reshape the front and create the gap. I tried to emulate the same thing at the rear of the tank as well. I suppose it will look fair to ok when it's done and all painted up. Plus, it allows plenty of clearance if I use a dual crown fork.

What has anybody been using for filler caps and bungs?

Dan

Ok, here is what I am up against.

Going to take quite a bit of custom fab work to get it just right but I think it's going to work out in the end. I probably should have checked for engine fitment before taking all that time to build the tank.

I will have to make a new exhaust, the front engine mount and probably either grind off a 1/4'' of the top fin on the cylinder and a small portion of the head for chain clearance. I may have to run a roller on the chain going back to the engine because of the angle of the engine in relation to the rear wheel axle (mounted MUCH lower now).

Here is some progress pics so far.

1194_HPIM0343_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0344_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0345_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0346_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0348_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0349_1.jpg

That's great, love it, wish it were mine.... no brakes?... well, what you need there are some nice perimeter brakes.... now THAT would be cool 8)

Ok, here's a progress pic or two.

So far I have finished (except for sealing the inside) and rubber mounted the gas tank, made a new head pipe, and changed the wheels (which I don't know if I'll use). I still have to modify the chain tension roller and route all the wiring.

I've picked out the colors for the frame and tank and as soon as it's ready, I'll paint...I can't friggin' wait!

The tires are temporary. I just wanted to see what it would look like with the 2-26'' wheels.

1194_HPIM0355_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0357_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0361_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0359_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0363_1.jpg

Back