Building my own gas tank

iRide Customs

Local time
5:08 PM
This morning after watching those great videos of board track bikes, I decided that if I am going to make a frame for my Skyhawk I should probably make a custom tank for it too.

Here's a trial run to see if I could do it. This is a miniature tank made of 20g. steel and when I do make it for the bike I will step it up to maybe 18 or 16g. steel.

1194_HPIM0325_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0326_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0327_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0328_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0329_1.jpg

Since that is just your dumb ole practice tank, you might as well give it to when you are done with it!!! HEE HEE

Thanks guys and I would give it away but it's only 4'' long. I wanted to see how the welder worked on the really small, really thin stuff. The next tank may or may not look like that one.

I guess it could be used as a paper weight.

Nice, I wanted to make my own custom tank, but I didn't have the materials, time, money, or know how to get it done. Hope yours turns out well!

Well, here's my feeble attempt at the real deal. LOTS of work to build this thing! I think I will have carpal (sp) tunnel in my right wrist from all the grinding! Looks like it may hold a gallon and half or so?? I guess I should have seen if I can mod the frame to accept the engine before I did all this work...oh well.

Dan

1194_HPIM0333_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0334_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0332_1.jpg
1194_HPIM0331_1.jpg

That is freakin sweet!! 1 1/2 Gallons? Wow. talk about going some miles in between fill-ups!!

Dan

Oh yea baby,Iride thats exactly how I built my tank for my toy.I brazed in some threaded inserts,and found some 1 inch conduit clamps.A couple of pieces of old inner tubs,and I was done.If you have any small leaks,and you can't get them to seal that tank sealer realy works great too.

Back