Bumpy ride, seat suspension?

Vikingimike01

Local time
3:24 AM
Hey there. So, I have a 26x4 fat tire bike, so 4inch thick wheels. I have them at 10 PSI. I have a 10hp electric engine on it.

Even if I go 15km/h, because of the thick wheels, it picks up a lot of imperfections on the road, mostly the bumps and the missing concrete. The roads around where I live are very bad, old, patched up.. Just horrible.

I alredy have a front suspension, wich is kinda weak for my weight. If i brake it goes in like 2cm, and only comes back out when I get off. May be normal. don't know.
So I was thinking, I need a suspension to my seat. Directly to my seat. Not wheel suspension.

Would it be possible to do such a thing? I was thinking of putting a strong spring on the tube that is attached to the seat and goes into the frame. Then don't tighten the seat post tube. It would be able to move around. I would create a guide for it like a rail, so it can't turn when I'm riding, only go up and down. And maybe a lock to prevent it from comming out too far while riding. Possible? What do you guys think?

There are tons of already available suspension seatposts at all sorts of price points that have great reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=suspension+seatpost

Otherwise the route I personally took was I installed a banana seat and instead of a sissy bar supporting the rear of the seat, I cut off the front suspension of an old mountain bike, disassembled the struts/stretched the springs to over 2x the stock length/reassembled (to handle the weight), cut each shock free from the other, bolted one end to the seat, the other to the axle and now I have a seat with 2in of suspension travel.

Currently, it doesn't provide the best support as mountain bike shocks aren't meant to hold 180lbs but since it's just using a 1in x 3in spring, I can always correct that for just a few dollars.
IMG_20190822_081506.jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That does look cool, but I want something for the seat, its less detectable.. I saw these seatpost ones but don't know how good they are.. I'm 230 pounds..

That one looks good, worst case if it's not strong enough for your weight you can always swap out the coil spring for like $5.

Thanks. Can someone else confirm this too? I was first thinking of the same thing then the spring on the seat. Basically same thing but this looks proper.

What kind? Can I see it? I really need it on the fat tire, because the amount of bumps.. When I don't stand up, or at least put my weight on the pedals my vision is blurry jumping up and down, thats how bad it is, can't even see if going faster than 25km/h

I got one of these, paid 20$ for it works good if you plus seat weigh less then 220 Lbs and there is adjustments on it to add more or less suspension
by M-Wave

FYI i use it for My Schwinn OCC 20x4 FatTire with no front suspension and this takes alot off ya bum
1.jpg

Thanks! I'll check this one out as well.

I was just now actually thinking of making a "real motorcycle seat" kinda like cafe racers. Because the battery is a big block on the top of the frame, a cubic foam seat would match. Any ideas on that? It alredy looks far from a bicycle.. but can be pedalled. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back