Bushings?/Bearings? and oil

:eek:Whoa, that's a new one!
I raced many an MX where most of the gate was burning veggie lube, don't remember any probs (I DO recall a real fast guy in dark brown leathers though, wonder if he knew something we didn't?) pertaining to the digestive side of things :rolleyes:.
Back on topic:
Please everyone, do NOT use the cheapie weedwipper or chsaw oils as they are made for lightly loaded handheld engines that don't have to pull an overweight lazy lug who won't peddle.....oops, maybe that's just me?
DO use the motorcycle or better yet High Performance motorcycle type oils made specially for 2 cycle Racing engines. You will be FAR AND AWAY ahead of things and your little Chinese machine will smile and allow far more happy-time miles (not gonna guaranty anything to do with those Play-Doh like bushings though! Even MORE reason to keep the oil ratios up.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ! Now we seem to be getting to the meat of this issue. Where to buy good motorcycle 2 stroke oil? Are there any particular brands I should be looking for?What about the Caster oil ? Can that be added at say 20 % like I read earlyer. (to the oil) ???That % sign always looks like 96 to me for some reason??? T

Hello

If there is a Autozone in your area they sell Mobile 1 Synthetic two cycle oil, I think its great. I would not use synthetic untile your engine is broken in though.

Forrest

Mobile 1

Man you hit that nail square on the head. I just returned from the zone and got a quart of Racing 2 T mobile 1 . What do you mix it at ? Because of the bushings I'm thinking to go heavy on the oil. Maybe 20 to 1 or even more.

Yeah, never a fan of synthetics over here. They just run TOO clean, I know to most that statement may sound strange, but when I teardown an engine and the lower end is nice and lubed with leftover oil, well it just makes me feel better. I have torn into many a 2 stroke that has run synthetic and seen very little oil on the crank and associated assy, they just won't last long like that. Many people have come to me and asked the same type of questions all related to smoke and fouled plugs and even black drool from the exhaist outlet...."please tell us how to eliminate all these probs".
The key here is that folks without any of the info I am giving you guys here are thinking these things ARE probs, when in fact they are just symtoms of a well oiled and more to the point HAPPY (time!) 2 cycle engines!
A little smokey, a new plug and a few minutes to wipe up the excess exhaust are cheap compared to a new top end or even a spun lower rod bearing from a lean feul/oil ratio.
There may be lots of other opinions around to listen to, mine is only that of experience and lots of broken parts from doing it wrong.
Just my .02$

RC's right......those little high winding glow engines have bushings on the rod bearing (prolly THE most crital area in any 2 stroke engine, friction wise) and they spin some HEAVY rpms.....near 20k for some I reckon! Their hp per liter is up above some F1 engines so their lubrication issues are even more focused than our wonder toys.
They have ALWAYS used a castor based lubricant in their fuel, although as RC noted Synth oils tried to compete but in the end engine wear and a heat issue caused a re-think.

Well that leaves me with only one problem. I can burn up he mobile 1 in the weed wacker and the neighbors 2 stroke lawn mower but where to buy the real oils you guys speak of? No bike shops around here except Harley and the biker guys. Moto X well there is a track about 60 miles down in Va. no Moto X bike shop around here tho. Auto shops don't carry anything like that. Guess I'll try the net??? Its that or go back to using the little bottles of weed wacker oil from the hardware store. When I used the Itasca ( cheep ) small bottles at 25 to one my other engine used to smoke and drip oil from the tail pipe. If nothing else I can switch to that....T

Hello

Well, trust me when your engine blows up, or seizes (if it ever does) it will really have nothing to do with what type of pre mix you use. I have Vintage 1961 Lawn Boy mower thats the instructions calls for 16 ounces of 20 weight oil per gallon! Talk about lublication! Nothing like talking about pre-mix to start a fight! LOL. The most important thing is to use pre-mix, not straight gas!

Forrest

I agree with that point. I put 8oz. of mobile 1 to a gal . of mid range gas. I just wish I could find some caster oil to spike it with. I took it as a kid back when it was supposed to keep us kids all healthy and running right. T

Back