Bushings?/Bearings? and oil

try 1897

Local time
9:11 AM
I'm braking in a65cc. engine for a speck bike and I've come to the realization that its a bushing engine and doesn't have crank bearings just bushings. That would leed me to believe that it needs more oil. Its almost through its B/in at 16 to one . I've been using Itasca 2 cycle oil that comes 8oz to the bottle and mixed with one gallon of gas is 16 to one. What ratio should it run after the B/in period? I have some synthetic oil that comes in 3.2 oz's and mixed with a gal. would make 40 to 1 so two of them would be 20 to one. After Augie showed me how to set the carb. it runs real good at 16 to one so 20 to one wouldn't be out of the question.What do you all think? The kit didn't come with any paperwork for some reason so I'm not even sure whats recomended. I've been doing the B/in slow and easy but I've noticed the little engine has lots of spunk and think it should run pretty strong when all's said and done. Well its back to the streets for a run to kill off the last of the second tank full..........Tom in W.V.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with anything other than Maxima 927 or Klotz Benoil 2 stroke oil which both have 20% castor oil in the mix.

By far, the best oil for lubrication and protection which is critical fora bushing engine. Run this oil at 5oz to a gallon and you can't go wrong.

my opinion, based on more experience than i used to have.

without the debate of what kind.

i break-in any happy-time at 20:1 until the rings sing. after that, again opinion-only...

an engine with bushings needs 25:1 at the least. i have one that's gonna have to stay at 20:1.

bearings? with a good fitting assembly, i think 32:1 is fine.

More oil = cooler AND more power through better ring seal. Castor oil is the absolute best oil for any small hardworking 2 stroke. A bit messy and will smoke more than the synthetic oils but a fouled plug once in a while is much cheaper than a wore out bore or a lunched crank for the sake of a clean plug and no smoke.
Never saw a 2 stroke seize or blowup from using too much oil in the premix. Run as much oil as the engine will burn, specially these cheaply built little motors. The jetting may change fractionally from the fuel being a touch thicker, but it is worth doing for the huge benefits from the added lube. I run a 60's go kart powered by an 80cc McCulloch chainsaw eng on 20:1 927 Maxima castor and it only really smokes noticably if I let it sit and idle for a minute or two. Now these engines are nearly impossible to find parts for so do you think I would risk it using any of the "wonder oils" at 40:1, 50:1, 100:1?!! I've read some folks posts on here asking how to get my engine to quit smoking or stop making the plugs dark brown or black? They just don't get it, a nice clean sootless plug from a 2stroke just gave you notice that something is gonna break sometime very soon.
Just my $.02, from an old racer who might know a thing or 2.

cheers,
Ray

I've heard a lot of good things about running castor oil...matter of fact I think it was (is?) used in small RC engines...Other than a little smoke is there anything else to watch out for when running castor with the regular mix?....fwiw I use the mix from Lowes...It's called Promix and I'm not sure why or how but the label on the little plastic jug says it will handle all ratios from 16:1 to 50:1
(Same little can to 2 gallons of gas).....I use the stuff for all my small 2 cycle tools...(admittedly I sometimes use a can and a half If I know I will be working the weed eater or chainsaw particularly hard that day....just in case!)
Andrew

Ray , I'm an old racer also, different kind of racing but a racer none the less. Teens to early twentys spent drag racing a bunch of different kinds of motorcycles. I'm now 56 and my most vivid memorys of the time are the accidents that I had.My legs are in bad shape now as a result of one particularly bad wreck at Aquasco speedway in Md. Ive had several operations on my knees to no avail. I'd love to get into kart racing (vintage) Do you know where I can find a vintage kart to restore? Tom in W.V. E-mail me ...try1897@wmconnect.com ...... thanks.... and where can I get the caster oil?....???....T

Last edited by a moderator:
i also ran klotz benoil or other castor based oils for years, in lots of varios race bikes. good stuff, just my 2cents!my 71 harley baja 100 had a measureing cup built into gas cap on it said to mix 30 wt motor oil. no woder i had to rering it?

Older radio control engines typically are bushing motors while newer ones are bearing ones.

The debate over castor blend versus straight syntehtic was solved years ago in the model airplane hobby. Castor blended oil significantly decreased bushing and critical engine component wear period!

It seems to me that I've herd stories about the use of caster oil in the real planes of days gone by and pilots having an accident while trying to fly and take their pants off at the same time due to the caster oil fumes causing the s**ts.

Back