Busted in B.C. (Stealthy Tips and Tricks)

G

gottarideabike

Hello everyone thanks for checking this out.
If you've ever been busted or had close calls with your m-bike let me know, should make for some interesting stories.
Also success stories about registered builds are welcome too.
I mainly started this thread to see how, or if there are builders out there who have pulled off some deceptive ways of keeping their outlawed bikes on the road, and out of the pound. Some of you might think its stupid to try and pull the wool over the eyes of the law and thats ok, but please dont judge, the electric motor laws made it difficult for responsible people to build and ride these bikes here in B.C.. I havent started my project yet, but it is soon coming. I have come up with a few ideas to make this work, and work well and im looking for support for and advice from others who find themselves in the same boat.
If it walks and talks like a duck, it must be a legal bike.
I will share my thoughts and ideas, but only if this thread generates some interest.
Thanks in advance for your input.

H

Haggard

Where abouts in B.C. are you?? Different areas throughout the province seem to show different leniencies and tolerances concerning these bikes.
Depending weather You're in the lower mainland, the interior , or northern interior should be taken into consideration at the beginning of your build . find some local riders, find out what experiences they've had. and go from there
It would help if I knew where you were.
~Haggard~

G

gottarideabike

Near Kelowna, Vernon. I had no idea there were leniencies, But I know there are restrictions. I would be thrilled if there was a way I could do this legally without registration, but I thought there wasnt. Your knowledge of this matter would be greatly appreciated.

D

Dockspa1

Are the laws different their for electric vs gas power?
Seems strange that USA has banned the import of the happy times but has allowable laws in their favor, where as Canada allows them to be shipped and sold their but not ridden.
Weird!

G

gottarideabike

The laws or very different between the two. Electric bikes are considered MACs, Motor assisted cycles. Many restrictions including 500 watt max, 32Kmp max speed, power cut off with brakes, etc, These of course are very easy to modify without any visual changes and you can get away with alot if your discreet, but these bikes and or kits are very expensive to play with.
Dont get caught doing over 32KMP. Gas bikes are considered mopeds and I dont know of any laws or restrictions that would put them in any catigory that would allow for them to be used without proper registration and licensing.

D

darcy

Busted in B.C.

I am also interested in what comes of this thread. I am also in BC (lower Mainland) and would like to know what has happened with others here. I don't want to get a bike and get alot of hassle or fines from the police.
Darcy

D

Dennis Becraft

need stealth ? make a powered trailer

It's very easy to disguise an electric powered trailer. Almost as easy with a gas powered trailer. Who would suspect the trailer is actually pushing the biycle? Search the forum for "pusher" or "powered trailer". There are vids & pix too. Here's an electric made in Canada for US $1200 ! http://www.geocities.com/vancyclist/PT50.html

L

Large Filipino

I was thinking the same thing. Cover it up and it just looks like a trailer,although you'll need to find a way to make the rear sprocket freewheel or pedaling will be hard with your centrifical clutch spinning and wanting to grab when your engine's off.
But then again,just how much money are you looking at to make it legal? Is it a one time lifetime registration or do you have to register it every year? Do you need brake and turn signals?
It's so unfair that some laws pick on these bikes. Don't they know that most can't keep up with traffic unless your screaming your engine and you'll be riding along with other bicyclists cause your going the same speed they are?
I don't get stopped for I'm over 40 and fat. But then again,I'm not in Canada.
I hope you find a way to have them leave you alone.