Buyers Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Support

Before today, I would not have dreamed of putting a happytime engine on one of my bikes. I just don't know anything about them. (Thats just me) After reading this thread, It makes me want to call thatsdax and order a kit just to support him. So many resellers of low cost chinese hardware just throw it at you. It's great to see someone who is trying to create some community...

PS If Scott comes to the Bedford bike sale I will look his over.

Scott and I will both be there in Bedford on Saturday, and if weather permits, we will ride our bikes. Hope to get to meet you.

As for Warranty outside the Country....

I do not offer Guarantee or Warranty on Sales "on sales" outside the USA lower 48 states. I do Guarantee I will help those who buy from me outside the USA. That is... IF they let me help them... Thanks.. Enjoy the ride.. Also.. Still waiting to hear about the number of ounces per liter. Greguk? It is taking you a long time to come forward with this information.. This is not good.... If you or anyone has no idea of ounces of oil per liter or per gallon they are mixing, then they too have an engine that will burn up soon.

oh..and.. I have seen

There is at least one company in the UK that sells these types of motors. I think they are Grube motors. Cost is around 300 pounds with shipping. That is... What .. 550usd? 600usd Wow !! Not sure of the exchange rate. But the pound is pounding the Dollar . For around 300usd they can get one from me thatsdax. They can buy two for that price. The second one can be for Warranty work I guess.. I have had only 3 Returns under warranty all year long. I have not checked into them yet to see what is wrong, if anything. Now.. This is from all spring, summer and now going into Fall. So.. Heads up guys.. I will have a few Grab bag motors coming up for sale soon.. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride.. Here is the site... http://www.transformercycles.com/index.html . Thanks.. Enjoy the ride...

Last week I got a kit from thatsdax. Was surprised at the quality. Amazing for $174 including shipping. Looked great. This morning I had 2 minor questions. I emailed at 8:30 and said no rush and no need even to answer today. I had the answer to both in about 20 mins, worked great. I purchased from Dax from reading about the service here. Am a happy camper, customer and guy with a motor on his office floor. Thanks for the ride.

agreed...Duane is a good seller who supports his customers
he has never failed to give me good answers/advice, either thru e-mail, on the phone, or on this forum

also, there is a big difference between guaranteeing what you make yourself and what you buy, and then re-sell

grrr

let's put this baby to bed already.
greguk:tell duane what oil ratio you're using, and duane will send you the piston and rings.
the end.

The reason I didn't response before is because somebody have to work - NO - nobody donate me $200 for nothing:p

I used 2stroke mixing bottle
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2-STROKE-...ryZ82248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I used 20:1 (on few first tanks) 25:1 (after) but I used more than 20-25 because I always put few millilitres extra for health.

Dose is 40(25:1) - 50(20:1) on 1 Litre.

And here I have some extra to read (everybody use 20-25:1 ratio)

Mix fuel 32 to 1 Organic 4 oz 2-stroke oil to one US gallon of regular cheap gas
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5481

Would it have something to do with the fact the engine is tight? I think I got the mixture right and its not smoking or anything.. its running 50:1 as per instructions.
20/1 mixture if we must,
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6788&highlight=RATIO

different heat ranges, yes...also, gap can affect heat...

WARNING: we've been noticing here in town that going after a hotter spark may be a bad idea: it seems ALL of the pre-mix is burning, not a good thing on a happy-time. cruzin's engine toasted rings/piston/cylinder the other day (upper bushing is fine, go figure) and that's at a 25:1 ratio. while the crank area had plenty of residual oiling, the combustion area was dry as a bone.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5362&highlight=RATIO&page=3

I like to get the 50:1 ratio exact)
recommend 20:1 for breakin and after
can be "leaned up" to 60:1, by putting an extra 1/10 gallon in your gas can
Run a gallon at 75:1, see if I detect any performance changes (and it really does reduce smoke and fumes, because I've used Amsoil on road trips, mixing by the tank.)
We are running at a 20-32:1 mixture ratio.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6766&highlight=RATIO

Hi, My instructions said to run it at 20 to 1 for the first 50 miles I think.

OTE: During Break in,
keep drive chain snug.
After break in, you can allow
it a little slack. Also...Keep
mix ratio at 20:1 and
synthetic oil is not required.
http://thatsdax.com/INSTALL_PAGE_3.html

Administrator

after break-in you want 40 2000ml:50ml or 64oz:1.6oz or 1gal:1bottle*

*briggs & stratton easy-mix 2-cycle oil 3.2oz <--for the math-challenged, like me :?

personally, i believe nogoodnic42. i'm on tank #2 starting today (70 miles) & i've switched to 40:1.

i also did 35mph+ for 6 miles on the way home :devilish:
I ran it at 20 to one for about maybe a tankfull of gas and its a half gallon tank so 100 miles I don't really know exactly. but then I leaned it to 25 to one and then 30 to one on the next two tankfuls
the new consensus seems to be:

20:1 dino oil for break-in (until you feel the rings seat)

25:1 dino or synthetic blend after (for engines with bushings)

my opinion...32:1 is prolly ok with roller-bearings, i'll be trying it as soon as i get the roller-bearing engine back on my bike.

i've tried to contact the seller with no response
i'm fairly certain i'm correct, i haven't heard a thing about (cough!) "80"'s with bearings yet.
Administrator

i'm fairly certain i'm correct, i haven't heard a thing about (cough!) "80"'s with bearings yet.

personally, from hard experience, i recommend you use 25:1.

Administrator

my opinion, based on more experience than i used to have.

without the debate of what kind.

i break-in any happy-time at 20:1 until the rings sing. after that, again opinion-only...

an engine with bushings needs 25:1 at the least. i have one that's gonna have to stay at 20:1.

bearings? with a good fitting assembly, i think 32:1 is fine.

Just got off the phone with Duane at Dax, he confirmed that on the 65D the cranks are ball bearing and BOTH upper and lower rod is bushing. I was bummed but while talking to him (for near 25min, Cool Dude!) he mentioned of all the engine he has sold and worked with none had ever shown signs of distress on the lower rod bearing (bushing) EXCEPT the ones that had been run too light on their premix ratio. He mentioned 20:1 25:1 to protect that lower rod bushing. I totally agree, thanks Duane! Thanks Butch I appreciate your thoughts as well
mix 25:1 and you will not either.. Solid or roller seem to work great with correct mix
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6571&highlight=RATIO&page=3

depends on the ratio you're shooting for...your formula would be 32:1
128 ozs to a gallon divided by desired ratio (32) = 4ozs
1 LITRES + 40-50 ml oil = 1:20-25 RATIO
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5970&highlight=RATIO

When it comes to 2 stroke oils, believe it or not, synthetics are not superior. The Mobil oil you asked about has a flash point of 190 deg F which is VERY low. Klotz benol blend oils (80% synthetic w/ 20% degummed castor oil) have a flash point of 450 to 500 deg F.

I am now using Klotz product exclusively and let me tell you, the fact it didn't burn up at high temps saved my engine. I was doing some mountain climbing today and my engine got so hot, the head changed color but it kept on chugging and still runs like new. If I had been running any other kind of oil, I'd be doing a rebuild instead of typing this email.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5185&highlight=RATIO

Run it at 36 to 1 or 40 to 1. Synthetic is good idea. Buy it at Wal-Mart. The hyper expensive stuff is.....really expensive.
i live down here in the desert. is running a 50;1 mix good for it or should i stay around 30;1 - 40;1 ?
if you have a 2 stroke engine, i think any 2 stroke oil will work. you should probably find out what the manufacturer of your engine recommends to be sure of the gas/oil mix ratio. in my manual from thatsdax it said to mix mine at 25:1 during break in. on his website it said 20:1 for break in and after break in. I have read thru other posts in here tho that said some people use different mixes, i have no idea why to be honest. some of these other guys no A LOT more about this stuff than me. I'm just a beginner. lol

on a new engine, I'd run 25:1 for a few tanks. IMO 40:1 is okay after break in. I run a tank of 50:1 once in a while. :)
20/1 is just too much oil. That much oil (especially non-synthetic cheap dollars store stuff ) will cause carbon build up and that clogs plugs and exhaust, plus the rings will stick and then the whole thing goes "boom".
The reason your engine was revving and running hot has nothing to do with how much oil you are running. Too much oil is as bad as too little.

Administrator

my input: i have 800+ miles on a great-starting & great-running engine.

i use briggs & stratton "easy mix" at 36:1. i mix one gallon of regular gas to one 3.5oz bottle. it is easy to use & i have no complaints.

i use a hotter ngk b6hs gapped at .025

when i replaced the jug-gasket, everything was really clean and moving smoothly, with no looseness or undue wear.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4636&highlight=RATIO

and more and more....

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I see that plenty people "secure" 1 seller which don't wants to care for quality, writes "own" true about reliability of own product (6000 miles VS my 500 miles), asking for ratios and not even try to explain himself why he sell "cheap metal pot made" engines.

He just have own answer for everything - no warranty outside USA.

But I can imagine what could be happened If he wouldn't replace bad engine in USA. He probably would be shoot like dog outside home by angry young American which would not be ignored.

But looks like I'm too far to help me serious - not advice to buy MOOOREE and MOORREE from THATSDAX. Please, I don't want to buy more... I want to be treated well.

Simple calculation:
How much really cost engine if on web side cost $149 +$25 delivery?
$100 without extras (carb, tank, etc)? And how much did you pay your supplier for it? $60? And you offer me parts without any discounts anything and DIY for $70?
Is it some much money for you SELLER to behave like a man?

Is it some much money for you Thatsdax to treat well all customers? If you replaced 3 engines for a year Is it really so much for you to replace another one. Please, I sent you pictures, explained well everything and get only cheap talk about buy more from me. I understand It's hard to be a seller, but it is hard to be a buyer as well. What you think I should behave? Should I allow you to be Guru here and forget about my rights? You know It's not about engine it is. It's about proud. I can't allow you to rip me off. If it's happen it will mean you don't respect me and my hard earned money. And now you have situation when you should behave like a man, and how you behaved? Like a child which made friendly customers into enemies and kick them in balls and run away to stronger friends like to dady. You shoot yourself in a foot. But nooo... it's your money now - but did you earn them fair?

I was proud I had engine from you. And now when You have to be responsible for your Product - you regret to sent replacement and squeeze my money in hand.

I'm just sure you think I want another engine free to have 2 of them. Please, grow up man, "money and have more" it's not everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back