buying a 2 stroke kit

rob800ho

Local time
3:01 PM
I am looking at ordering a china 2 stroke 80cc kit to install on my bike. Can anyone tell me good or bad experience's they have had. I have found a few kits on ebay for about $150 and thinking of trying one. I am fairly mechanically inclined. That for any suggestions.

Contrary to what some people say I have found that all of the kits are basically the same.....brand name and warranty means NOTHING...just DON'T buy from Gasbike, Kings, or Zone 8...all the same company

I am riding on a Dax supplied F80 66cc motor and I am loving it. It replaced a generic HT 2 stroke and, though that things surprised me with its dependability and toughness, this motor from DAX is a significant improvement. Worth every penny!

beware of a bunch of sellers located in NJ - they are selling pre-2012 kits cheap - these kits do not have the newer machined cranks

dont buy cheap ebay kits.

my only ebay kit, $129 for a 50cc kit.

it arrives, cool! its a 66!

install. make pipe. and guess what? it siezed. it died, in a week of use, not once did it make it the 5km to work. orderd some parts, to find that everything was different again to the (two) common styles of 66cc engine. one day its running stinking rich and fuels dripping out the pipe. the next it was running so lean the plug electrodes melted, yet it was rich when i got home andd started it (the carb was fine, i even still use that carb on another engine... gaskets, etc, all the same...)

just a lemon from the word go.

meh. anyways. while they seem to be from one or two manufacturers only, im sure theres a lot of middleman that have no issue with buying and selling the "scrap" engines, that dont meet QC (skyhawk i believe has some level of QC) and im sure the manufacturer doesnt mind, as they are making money from what would have been a loss.

did i mention my "cheap" 66cc happened to be made from an alloy that felt softer than the base of a tealight candle? i could bend fins by pressing on them. it sounded like hitting a lump of lead. not "ting" like good alloy casting... but "thonk" like hitting a lump of modelling clay..

and yet ive had genuine 50cc (48cc) engines that have been literally run into the ground, and still fire up, still run, even after 10,000km+ on them, at 50:1 oil ratio...go figure.

the 3 ebay engines (all from rose326a, except one from 1j2014 which I'm fairly certain is the same person) I've bought have outrun the bikeberry engines and the pistonbikes engines by quite a bit, it seems to depend just as much on the phase of the moon as it does quality control or seller or whatever magical thing people seem to think matters

that reminds me that i did buy another fleabay kit!

it actually was what i ordered, it cost another 75 or so, and its still working so i amend my statement to

"dont buy the cheapest fleabay kit you can find"

My engine goes tinkle, tinkle, tinkle when I hit it with a hammer....what does that mean?

Thanks for all the replies. I bought an 80cc kit from a seller on ebay. It's a flying horse brand kit Gooddogosupply They seem fairly new but have great feedback. Looks like a 30 day hassle free warranty too. I guess I will install in a beak it in properly "ie" short warm up and cool down runs and follow the break oil gas mixtures. Thanks again

Back