Buying my first 4 stroke

I had a 2 stroke awhile ago, and I like the idea of not having to mess with a clutch. So I bought a beach cruiser and now am ready to buy the engine. What are the differences between the $180 kits on Ebay and these BikeBerry kits ($350)? I figured I would just buy the cheapest one, but now I wonder if that is not a good idea. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ebay

BikeBerry

Also this Ebay one looks like it has a belt drive. I hear that is supposed to be a good thing?
well, the only diffrence on the ebay and bike berry kits are a sticker, there the exact same thing.
and yes, the belt drive is a lot better than the old chain drive ones. you can get up to about 35ish stock.

if you want a 4 stroke, get the ebay kit and keep it stock, do the basic maintence things, and early oil changes.
it will run really well! and you will get the most enjoyment out of them :)

good luck!

(also, to limit them to 20mph, you can put a plate where the throttle hits. you you only get like half throttle, there a limiters as well, as aleman mentioned)

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
What's the best way to figure out what size hub I have? Bring it to a bike store and ask? I looked in the Amazon listing and there is not much info.

I got the 29" single speed.

Also, I've been wondering about these hub adapters that I've been seeing for the sprockets. How does that keep stress off of the spokes? When torque is applied doesn't it just turn until the 3 arms press against the spokes even if the bolts are tightened down?

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
A caliper, but if you must take a string wrap around mark where the string comes together, measure the length of that, do

Length Divided by Pi this will give you a higher or lower number then a caliper i suggest measuring a few times and looking at your number and all the adapter sizes and thinking smart if you use this method

from what I found on a 5 min search of Chatham bikes website, you have a KT coaster brake hub 305RA which is 1.15-1.18". IIRC that is a modus hub size, and a good place to get that particular size hub adapter would be from Lynn @ mbrebel.com
unless of course, you know it's more like 1.25 or a fat 1.5"

calipers are the really only way to know exactly. cheap digital ones are under $10 on fleabay. there's only like 5 sizes these adapters come in

string method might work but the difference between 1.25 and the 1.15" is easy to flub up and get the wrong one.

He has the 29" Single Speed lets just say go get some 29" Mag wheels for 150$ from flea bay and get the magwheel sprocket :p saves little hassle don't it, and saves dem spokes :p

lolz distant,,
oh I remem I got my adapter when my bike was still all stock, replaced the rag joint and then I ate up the bearings within a month or 2. since I still have that adapter, I just get a wheel with a hub to fit it. ur right tho,, path of least resistance is best lots times.

disclaimer: some reason Im feeling snarky today so I got off here to rip on clueless fleabayers abt how 66cc performance heads can not fit a 48cc haha

There is a bike store on my way to school. I'll stop by there on Thursday morning. What about the spoke question I had. When those bolts are tightened around the hub does the whole assembly spin into the spokes?