Buying my first 4 stroke

Should it spin like a coasting bicycle wheel, or should it have a minimal amount of resistance normally?

Also, concluded after doing a "hand tightened" motor mount test on bike today, that there is no way that the exhaust will fit with how the bolt holes are lined up. The lower exhaust hits the motor mounting plate.

you can always grind out the mounting holes on the exhaust flange so you can get some play in it's location, or bend the exhaust to fit.
I'll have to look into bending it. The holes are way too far off to open them up. I think the reason is because I need to slide my motor almost all the way to the side to get the drive sprocket to line up w/the rear tire sprocket. I haven't actually installed the chain yet, but these 29" tires are pretty wide. Maybe my judgment was off again.

OD of hub is 39.07 mm. Online says that converts to 1.538in. Not sure how to proceed with this weird number. Should I just buy a 1.5" adapter? Bike shop told me that.
.038 is a lot. Most tolerances for quality control is .002/.003=+ for production work. If we're talking about a 1.5in hub. Think of a spark plug gap at .038, that's huge.

Should it spin like a coasting bicycle wheel, or should it have a minimal amount of resistance normally?

Also, concluded after doing a "hand tightened" motor mount test on bike today, that there is no way that the exhaust will fit with how the bolt holes are lined up. The lower exhaust hits the motor mounting plate.
I loosened the nut about 1/4 turn and now it turns much more freely. Still has a bit of resistance though. I figure I'll disassemble and reassemble with loc-tite. I suppose I'll proceed forward assuming that there is supposed to be a small amount of resistance. So maybe if I spin it with my hand it will do about 2-3 revolutions before coming to a stop.

On another note, here is some Chinese glory in the form of a properly fitted snap ring...

Last edited:
Damn, the grove for that snap ring is HUGE!!!! I would be embarrassed to sell those...
The bearings might be pressed in a little off, based on that quality snap ring grove...

I put a dot of harbor freight super glue on it to try to keep it in place (after centering it). I did it in such a way that it will be super easy to chip it off.

how much do you trust that hub measurement? cheap calipers can be +/- 0.2mm. making an adapter fit can be done or go to a disc brake wheel