Buying my first motor kit

I'm going to concur (my big word for the day!) with those advocating for you to disassemble and double-check the important stuff.
On a side note, my wish for the 2-stroke retailers would be, keep your go-fast parts off of an engine that hasn't been properly gone through, (assembly, casting slag cleanup, port-matching, and for God's sake, BALANCING the moving assembly!) ....THEN offer the Oboy-Go-Fast-Shiny-Parts. The cynic in me imagines a retailer with 1 crate of the happy-time motors, another crate of Super Good Feeling High Compression Heads (purchased in bulk), and a 3rd crate of Custom Flashy Go-Fast Logo Stickers to slap on the clutch-gear cover... pulling the 4 nuts off of the original heads, slapping on the new head (AND that important Logo Sticker!), and then selling the original heads in a separate ad for $13 a piece. ...am I wrong?
If they're not going to do the basics first, there's no point to adding the other stuff, (Lipstick on a pig).
At that point it would probably be best for a purchaser to get a basic kit and do the required steps themself- saving money on the initial purchase and having the peace of mind of knowing they're not building a shiny grenade.

So- my question to add on behalf of The Original Poster, and on the behalf of others new to the hobby is, IS there a retailer that PROPERLY offers a "Beginner's Dream Kit"?
This would be-

Motor- Proper Assembly, No Casting Pieces to break off inside, Balanced so that the paint-shaker tendencies are not causing issues for the rest of the bike. Also, I don't count "checking an engine to see if it shakes really badly" as balancing it. Something that spins as fast as these motors do should not shake like that.

Kit assembly- NO RAG JOINTS. An arch-type tensioner made available, perhaps? Fuel line that is fuel proof?

It's fun to see the history of this hobby through old posts on this forum, of how the basics have slowly improved, and how Super-High-Tech-Expensive-Improvements/Upgrades have eventually become the Affordable Norm. We still have a way to go, but I've got faith in the hobby and it's members.

Sorry if I Hi-Jacked. I think it's still in line with the O.P's request.

Last edited:
Back