Buying one today!

aaronwilde

Local time
12:40 AM
Im buying a bike off craigslist today for 250 cash (i lowballed him down from 300/350 ish and hes been trying to sell it for a while) anyways. its an 80cc (66cc true i have read) fit on a random city bike. He speaks bad english as he is european but it seems legit. im going to check it out today. he claims it was the best bike he could find for the engine and it goes 50kmph. I guess i will see today. apparently its a brand new engine but an older bike. anything i should check on it? Ill go threw all the parts and make sure they are tight and in good condition. Oh and I live in New Westminster Canada for any fellow ppls who ride :D (near vancouver) CHeers!!!

Welcome to Mbc, Aaron. Seems like a more than reasonable price for bike and motor, considering all is straight and 'in line'. Since you are in rather damp country, I would change out the important mounting bolts for Stainless Steel, as well as plastic-insert lock nuts. For the few bucks it will cost you, it will be well worth it in the long run. Check all of the bearings, and re-grease them, make sure the chains are oiled properly (not with DW-40), and you will probably need new tires and tubes (perhaps not) but they seem to rot quickly from non-use, which it sounds like this bike has been subjected to. Otherwise, you sound good to go. Good luck. Let us know the results, and try and shoot us some pics...K?
Patrick

Last edited:
Got the bike !!! :

So i got the bike last night in North Vancouver. it was pouring rain and he rode it up to me. I tried and it worked and seemed legit. So i tried to take it back home via seabus then skytrain but it turns out no transit vehicle (not even the front of the buses bike rack) will allow this on. Luckily it stopped raining within 5 minutes and was a nice dry ride. i had to ride it home to New Westminster which was a good 40 K's in distance. I didnt have it going the whole time as i had no helmit and wasnt sure about police seeing me on it. But 95% of the way i was using the engine. Thing works pretty good. the engine would shut off if i was going super slow revs up really steep hills but thats about it. Also when i come to a stop the engine usualy shut off. My first thought when i got it was to get better bolts and lock nuts for the engine mounts aswell. he told me to check the engine mount nuts and the chain tension after each ride. Im not sure on the gas : oil ratio and he was using OZ or some weird measurement i couldnt understand. It made 40k on about a quarter of a tank maybe 30% of the tank. I can go pretty fast too. Id say 40kmph. He claimed 50 but i think he was overexagerating his product. It screams at 40. :D heres some pics. oh and yes thats a small peice of wood on the bottum engine mount, the frame i guess was to small for the U attatchedment, i will stick a peice of metal or modify that in due time. Also I tapped the exposed cordse with electric tape. Ill use a zap strap when i get some. ANDDDD those are my metal mongoose petals i put on lol.

Attachments

• 2011-09-16 14.23.54.jpg
    2011-09-16 14.23.54.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 2011-09-16 14.24.07.jpg
    2011-09-16 14.24.07.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 2011-09-16 14.25.48.jpg
    2011-09-16 14.25.48.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 2011-09-16 14.24.20.jpg
    2011-09-16 14.24.20.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
It looks to me like you made a pretty good purchase, Aaron. It appears as tho all you need to do is give her a good tune-up, and beef up that motor mount. Check into our 2-Stroke Forum for something called a 'Torque-Stop'. It is just a little piece of bent metal that prevents the engine from twisting when you accelerate. If you can't find it, post a questions and one of the Gurus there will help you out. Good luck, and I wish you many miles of happy riding. Keep in touch with us.
Patrick

Arron...I'll try and help you out...here it is in a nutshell. Go to our 2-Stroke Forum...The Thread is "Rear Mount Studs Broke, Any Good Fix???" Go to: Post#56 by AL.Fisherman (w/pic), and # 57 comment by me. For all of this thread, and quite a few before, they have been trying to figure out how to prevent the rear studs on 2-Stroke, in-frame mounted engines like yours, from 'snapping' on acceleration. Post #56 by AL.Fisherman (Ron Colera) finally gives the best solution in a very short post #56. If I am not mistaken, it is used by most builders of MB's w/2-Stroke engines or any engine mounted 'in-frame.' That Thread is from 2010...I guess it just didn't search far enough back for some reason. I hope it was clear so you caught the theory behind it, and hope it saves you some trouble with your mount. I would never trust some stranger's previous work. When you change out your mounting bolts it might be a good idea to mount one of these inexpensive little brackets. It is cheap insurance, and may prevent a lot of problems down the road. Good luck...any questions, PM me...K?

Last edited:
Back